Record DML24 Questions.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fat ferret

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello boys and girls, bought this lathe a couple of years ago for 20 quid came with a roughing out gouge and a few chisels. Bought and read book. Made it a bench and got it going. Turned an oak mallet to wallop my drive center in with. What fun!

Couple of things, the dead center is stuck in cause some wee cave wain has walloped the end with a hammer til it mushroomed I would guess. How do I get it out? Tried squirting penetrating oil in, leaving for an while and hitting with a parallel punch and hammer, no joy. Any ideas.

Upgrades, would like 36" bed so I can turn table legs and such but can't find longer bars, assuming that's all I need? I searched forum and googled but think it helps if you know what to type!

Also is there any way of making it so it doesn't need a spanner to adjust the tail stock and tool rest? Really don't know how to describe what I want.

Anyhow look forward to turning some stuff, father Keith recommends I stick to between centres turnings at first, maybe make a stool and do the seat last :lol: . Have long since realised all the turned things a buddy could want, table legs, stair case spindles ect can be bought ready turned for price of wood if using pine but still having fun.

Mark Hancock":wtj9l389 said:
Check out Adjustable Locking Handles/Bristol Locking Handles/Kip Locking Handles for the tailstock and tool rest.
+1 they make a good upgrade to many machines, but DON'T buy the plastic ABS ones they're rubbish, only buy metal ones.

Hi

If Record Power can't help you with longer bed bars just measure the diameter and buy some mild steel bar of the correct diameter from a local steel stockholder and cut to size.

Regards Mick

Father Keith is spot on with between centre turning first.
When I learnt, taught by Ray Jones a time served apprenticed woodturner, I was given 8 pieces of wood 1.25" square about 9" long.
Roughed out each one in turn, then went back and did beads and coves on each one - got the hang of it before I got to number 8.

Some project ideas http://www.woodturningonline.com/Turnin ... jects.html . Some projects say a fee is payable - ignore it I did.

Brian

Ok I did wonder if just any steel bars of the right dimensions would do. I will get some from black smith. Any recomended size? thought I might as well go as long as possible.

Now my dead center is still stuck in tail stock and yes it has a hollow center but parallel punch and hammer wouldn't shift it. Tried penetrating oil but no joy, any ideas anyone?

Ah cam lock is the word is it, not too fussed for now but might upgrade in future.

Thanks for project ideas.

The dead centre will come out eventually, they usually do when your hand is there to catch it. So keep plasters handy and don't mind people making fun of the one-sided stigmata.
Just patience and keep spraying and tapping.

Fat ferret":3qdp6xan said:
Now my dead center is still stuck in tail stock and yes it has a hollow center but parallel punch and hammer wouldn't shift it. Tried penetrating oil but no joy, any ideas anyone?

Hi

Wind the tailstock so as the centre is extended, (wind until the thread is just proud of the handle). Heat the tailstock sleeve, (the bit that holds the centre), as quickly as you can with a gas torch, the idea is to expand the sleeve without expanding the centre. Whack the centre out as soon as you stop heating.

Good Luck

Mick

Cheers I will give both methods a go.

It used to be at a tech college I bought it for 20 quid thus saving it from the skip. Seen little use but the dead center's point is mushroomed flat like someones been clobbering it with a hammer!

With the knock out bar make it as short as possible to prevent it springing. There is another way to try and that is to take the assembly apart and hold the tail stock barrel with the centre in it so that the centre is facing upwards, Now with a small steel headed hammer and tap the tail stock barrel just below the centre. You do not need to smash it just taps twist the piece as you do so. Try this for at least 30 seconds. It is surprising how many times you van tap in that time. Keep an eye on the tail stock barrel what you do not want to do is damage it so that once reassembled it will not travel properly.

JimB":38wrg0dy said:
The dead centre will come out eventually, they usually do when your hand is there to catch it. So keep plasters handy and don't mind people making fun of the one-sided stigmata.

LOL. You just brightened my day :)

if it won`t come out,try getting in touch with Record,they might give advice or ask you to send offending part to them so they can remove it for you,if the dead centre is that badly mushroomed,it might need a replacement sleeve anyway if the taper is damaged,might be worth just buying a new sleeve and deadcentre/livecentre,cheers,

Eric.

Fat ferret":1mpg4ows said:
reluctant to use heat.

Hi

Heat is probably the least intrusive method of coaxing the centre into releasing - however if you don't want to go that way I suggest you take the centre and sleeve to a garage and ask them to separate them in a hydraulic press.

Regards Mick

Afternoon FF

Why 'reluctant to use heat'?

If you don't want a blowlamp on it, you could warm it up with boiling water.

Cheers

Dave

Deejay":1fhvcfjk said:
you could warm it up with boiling water

Hi

The trouble with boiling water is it's not so easy to confine the heat to the sleeve and not heat the centre.

Regards Mick

Fair comment Mick, but if you pour it over the outside, and whack the centre before it gets warm by conduction it might do the trick.

The same thing applies to using a blowlamp, but water won't damage the finish.

Cheers

Dave

Latest posts

Back