Record CL4 Bearing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigbud78

Established Member
Reaction score
Soooo following on from the brass bar :lol:

I noticed that when I had a chuck on the spindle that I was getting movement when I got hold of the chuck or work peice and moved it, I've adjusted the bearing until I couldnt turn the bare spindle by hand then slacked it off a touch (whilst warm).

The movement is still there but when warm it feels a little tight to turn TBH, I wound't have thought there should be any movement at all ? The lathe was bought in 2001 and I dont know how much use its had.

Is this normal or should I strip it and take out the bearing to check it ?

Got the bearing out, there is a bit of scoring and its very dark :( Tried to get spindle out and its seized with the back bearing and its pushing the bearing out as well. Assume I'm going to have to knock the lot out to inspect properly ?

Will take a photo of the bearing tomorrow.

DSC_0019.JPG
DSC_0016.JPG
DSC_0015.JPG

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• DSC_0019.JPG
    DSC_0019.JPG
    35.9 KB · Views: 1,127
  • DSC_0016.JPG
    DSC_0016.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 1,127
  • DSC_0015.JPG
    DSC_0015.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 1,127
Can't get it out, all stuck in headstock :-( bearing is stuck along with the pulley. Thoughts anyone?

Bearing are meant to be a tight fit onto shaft and may need a puller to remove. I changed my belt recently on my CL3 same set up as yours just has a 5 position pulley instead of the 2 you have. Make sure you have undone both of the grub screws holding the pulley on the top one will need to be removed completely to reach the one underneath, once the pulley can slide freely hold that and the shaft sticking out and tap the bearing against the pulley using the pulley like a slide hammer this may help remove the bearing. Space is a little tight but you should be able to do what I described.

In one of your pictures above the washer and bolt that holds the bearing on is still in place. You need to remove these to get the bearing off the shaft.

woodpig":3gcob4gv said:
In one of your pictures above the washer and bolt that holds the bearing on is still in place. You need to remove these to get the bearing off the shaft.

Well spotted I missed that in the first picture

Does look like it but it wasn't, found the second grub screw on the pulley which meant I could knock off the bearing.

Rear Bearing had plenty of play in it and it looks like the bronze was at the end of adjustment as the slope of the spindle was making contact with the straight part of the bearing.

Back