Record bandsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippygeoff

Established Member
Reaction score
I want to get a small bandsaw, it's main use will be for making bandsaw boxes. I have looked at a few and the one that seems to stand out from the rest is the Record BS250, it's the smallest saw in the range and will take blades from 1/4 to half an inch, which is about right I feel. It has roller guides top and bottom instead of the horrible blocks you see on some bandsaws. Does anyone have one of these and if so is it a good buy or would you recommend something else. Many thanks in advance.

the blocks are not that bad- my little inca has them and I have not had an issue

from my own experience, buying a cheap, small bandsaw is just a waste of money. Buy something bigger that will cut reasonable sized wood and last a very long time.

I have the BS250 but only because of my limited space. I find it OK for small stuff but I would definitely have a bigger machine if I had the room.

John

I've had the BS250 for about a year and I've been very pleased with it. A bigger one would have been nice but not having a dedicated workshop means the BS250 was as large as I could go. Re-sawing 100mm oak is the most demanding thing I've done on mine but it coped no problem at all as long as you take it steady and have a decent blade fitted (Tuffsaws).

The Record range carry a 5 year guarantee and have a good reputation. You get what you pay for, but if you could find the BS300 or 350 second hand, it would be an improvement.

I looked at the BS250 but ultimately went for the BS300E. I felt that for me a minimum of a 12" throat was a must but don't suppose that will be the general consensus as many are doing much more impressive things then me on a 10" and many say a 14" is the absolute minimum to go for. One thing I heard a lot when researching which one to buy for myself was to try and buy something that would do a bit more then what I wanted from it in order that I don't out grow it too soon. £240 dose seem to be a big jump for just an extra 2 inches. Build quality seems to be okay on the 300 but the instructions need updating and one of the horizontal struts on the base of mine didn't seem right in that it could not be fitted with the wheels supplied (not a problem for the 250 I guess).

I went for the BS300E over the BS250 mainly since the former has twice as much power and cast iron bandwheels. No problem assembling - even on my own with the assistence of a block and tackle to lift it onto it's stand

My axminster 350 was delivered crated, and it was only a matter of taking away the box sides, bolting the legs on, and lifting one end till it stood on its own four feet. Much easier than I thought it would be.

Back