record 52 1/2 quick realease vice question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rspsteve

Established Member
Reaction score
Will attempt to fit my vice to my home made bench after work today would is the best timber to use on the jaws?

And has anyone got an offcut i could buy for the job?

Cheers

Steve

Any good hardwood should be fine. When i did my bench i put the rear jaw behind the apron so the whole of the front of the bench becomes a clamping surface,

I don't have any spare timber that sort of size for a vice cheek otherwise i would let you have it. :)

carlb40":ofq977k3 said:
Any good hardwood should be fine. When i did my bench i put the rear jaw behind the apron so the whole of the front of the bench becomes a clamping surface

Was thinking about doing it this way ....my bench is 6ft long x 24 in

Steve

+1 for above. Just don't use oak, the acid within it will rot the vice and the screws in no time at all.

MDF/ply will be fine if you just stick to the standard jaw width or an inch or so either side. I used hardwood on mine as the total jaw width is now about 2ft :-"

I usually use beech for this. However last year I used some maple I had to spare and found it became too slippery in use so that stuff did not hold well in the vice, so avoid maple.

Chris

Mr T":3dpw0dqp said:
I usually use beech for this. However last year I used some maple I had to spare and found it became too slippery in use so that stuff did not hold well in the vice, so avoid maple.

Chris
Line the movable jaw with a piece of leather that will give additional grip and stop any sliding. ;)

I have recently fitted this vice to my bench, and the advice for facing the jaws is good thank you.
The vice I have is missing the countersunk screws to secure the faceplates. Does anyone know what thread they are? Clearly not metric... I am assuming UNC about 1/4 inch or 5/16 dia

Thanks

Apache_sim":1ahmqq40 said:
I have recently fitted this vice to my bench, and the advice for facing the jaws is good thank you.
The vice I have is missing the countersunk screws to secure the faceplates. Does anyone know what thread they are? Clearly not metric... I am assuming UNC about 1/4 inch or 5/16 dia

Thanks

Morning

My 52 1/2 E uses 5/16" BSW

Cheers

Dave

rspsteve":1d89c78p said:
carlb40":1d89c78p said:
Any good hardwood should be fine. When i did my bench i put the rear jaw behind the apron so the whole of the front of the bench becomes a clamping surface

Was thinking about doing it this way ....my bench is 6ft long x 24 in

Steve

I would do exactly that too.

wizard":f0ouqdb8 said:
I use two vices about two feet apart for better grip

I've seen two vices connected together by bicycle chain, to make a 'twin-screw' vice. ( I am getting two sheds by the way! :lol: )

I used softwood for the jaws of my vice. Always have some hanging around, (and how!) so replacement is easy. I used hardboard for the inside cheeks. The hardboard was turned around, so the rough side provided grip. Haven't seen any hardboard on sale for donkeys though! I'll use leather next time. (An old wallet should do the trick.) :wink:

I've got oak on mine and have had for years. No problems with rust or staining. You might get black marks with freshly cut green wood but my bits were from an old shelf unit out of a skip.
I favour making the back jaw flush with the edge of the bench and using a longer piece of wood on the front jaw so as to increase the capacity, especially when clamping vertically beside the sliding bars.

Hello I am a new member. Have been researching about a Parkinsons Perfect vise which I recently acquired. Have been reading threads on your site and find them very interesting. The one I have is a massive thing, the jaws measure 10 1/2" across and opens fully to 15 1/2" wide, it also has a quick release it needs new wooden packs to jaws but I have some nice oak to use. Also read that the usual colour is plum which mine is. It works a treat, nice and smooth but too big for my purpose so I am going to sell it on. Cant find any serial number anywhere though. Would be interested in any comment. Regards John.

Back