record 260 planer thicknesser

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lumberman

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just bought a record 260 planer thicknesser, I had heard many people complain
about the fence being a pain to set to ninety degrees and maintaining it.
I was assured by the company I bought it from that the fence had improved (sales spin)
Needless to say I am having trouble. Following the instructions to the letter using a good
square, I set it at 90 degrees, tightened the uper lever stayed at ninety degrees, tightened the
registration nut, then disaster the fence pulled away from the square. I tried several times
not tightening the lever to much and the registration nut, I have got it something like but not good enough, as ninety degrees exact, is crucial especially whe jointing. Has anyone any advice
I would be most grateful.

I have planed and thicknesed with the machine and am quite pleased with the results, although
I had to reset the knives because it was tapering the knives were to low, my only problem now is
the fence business.

I cant understand record I don't know if they are just plain tight, or they are having a laugh
but the, on off switch has for holes in which four screws should attach to the side of the machine
only 2 screws were provided, when I complained to record they said they only provide 2 screws
suggested I put fasten them corner to corner, the scews only fit in to about a quarter on an inch
any wa, I told them I was not happy about it, and the bloke said he would send me two more
still haven't received them, went out and bought a couple. any advice on the fence will be much
appreciated.

Harry.

Harry.

I have the same machine and yes, the fence adjustment on set-up is a bit fiddly but once done, I find it accurate. You need to start by sliding the fence into position (just over the end of the blades) and clamp it down with the lower ratchet handle. Then set to 90 degrees and tighten the upper ratchet handle. Once it's at 90 degrees, there are a couple of stop screws on the back of the fence which should be adjusted so it always returns to 90 degrees against the stop. These should only need adjusting until they just touch (don't screw them in tight) and then locked with the nuts, on initial set-up. I don't know what you mean by a "registration nut" unless you mean the "stop screws" and you're over tightening them.

P.S. Just had a look at mine, there are two stop screws, one for 90 degrees and the other for 45 degrees.

Thank You Graham for the info. After I made this post I tried yet again, the stop screws you refer to according to the manual
are the registration screws one for maintaining a 90 degree angle and the bottom one for a 45 degree angle once these
angles have been set the screws in theory when tightened should maintain the relevant angle.

I have had some success,as you say the secret is to tighten carefully and slightly (ever so slightly) by the way did your machine come with four screws for the on off switch it seems a mystery why record only provide 2, no matter really
I went out and bought two more.
Thank you for replying to my post.
Harry
I

Latest posts

Back