Record #10

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dchenard

Established Member
Reaction score
Just acquired one of those a couple days ago. I was told they were quite rare, at least on this side of the pond. Does anyone know when they were produced, and are there any "types" associated with them (à la Stanley)?

When I picked my plane there was among other things a 050, didn't know they existed...

TIA,

DC-C

No expert but since no one else has picked this up…
Nether the Stanley or the record #10 are particularly common here. I have seen more Records for sale than Stanley’s probably because the few that could afford or needed one went for the slightly better (perceived) quality option of the Record. I have yet to see a good one and there are plenty with the castings repaired on one or both sides above the mouth. They still carry optimistic price tags.
The high price of the L-N 10 1/4 seems to have pushed original prices up.
If yours hasn’t been dropped I am sure it will be a very nice plane.
Jon.

Mine is nearly mint, has something like 99% japanning, decal still on the tote. the only visible "defect" is some surface rust at the heel of the sole. I don't know how old it is, though.

When I have it cleaned up I'll post a pic.

DC

Sounds great. There is nowhere near as many changes with record planes as the equivalent Stanleys. The changes don’t seem to be well documented either. I have a #5 with the decal on the tote which has the earlier type frog – that is the bedding surface of the blade is nearly entirely machined. This is a desirable feature.
The later frogs were cast with depressions in so the bedding area was less (as was the machined area the frog beds to the sole casting as well). Unfortunately I don’t know when exactly this change occurred but I would suspect some time in the 1950s. I am sure a member with copies of the documentation will be able to be more specific.
It sounds as though your plane has been generally well cared for, if they have been in the damp too much the finish on the handles tends to crack and flake off – particularly the front knob.
Jon.

This could all be wrong, but it is what I have gleaned. Others will know a great deal more.

The 010 was produced from 1932 to 1994, so almost all 'types' will be represented. This is a long time for Records, but less than the equivalent Stanley (1870-1957)

The other variable with Records is the shade of blue enamel. Generally (ducks for cover) the darker the older.
The frog change was around the end of the 50s, beginning of the 60s.
If it has the original cutter the shape of the blunt end is also an indicator - rounded is newer.

The 050 (with 17 cutters) was produced from 1932 to 1970. Record plane production began in 1931, and continues to the present with a small range of bench and block planes.

Record also produced the #010 1/2 known as a smooth rabbet (the #010 was known as a jack rabbet) which was 9" long and had a 2 1/8" cutter.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Back