Record 044 plough plane - 3/16 iron

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david simper

Established Member
Reaction score
Looking for this iron. The set I purchased has a cutter for another Record plane but this does not fit. If anyone has a spare that they know they're not going to use I'd be grateful for it. I know that this is a long shot.

Dave :(

I know this isn't going to readily help, but the Record 043, Rapier and other clones take any kind of blade as there is no depth adjustment mechanism. I've used my #45, and #55 blades in mine just cause the 043 is such a handy size.

Do these cutters have the four notches of the 044 articles? I did bid on an 043 on e-bay but didn't get it; when I got the 044 I didn't bother again. My wife is convinced I'm obsessed with tools as it is.

Dave :?

Do these cutters have the four notches of the 044 articles?

Dave

The #044 irons may be used in the #043, but not vice versa. The #043 irons and the plane's clamping mechanism are quite a simple affair (the irons are flat and held in a lever cap). The #044 incorporates a depth adjuster, and the iron are slotted at the rear to accomodate this (and must be used with such).

Regards from Perth

Derek

Here is one with a nice set of blades. Looking at that notch, it looks pretty easy to make. I would probably try and make one myself with a dremel tool. I think you need only 1 notch. It looks like the rest are for when the blades shortens up over time you just skip to the next one.

The 044's cutters are (afaia) alone in having the four grooves. Some possible solutions other than asking round all the old tool dealers is either disregard the depth adjustment, or take a Dremel or equivalent to the back of a more common cutter and make your own. Or make your own from scratch. Or maybe ask Ray Iles if he'd just sell a 3/16" instead of a set. Or get in touch with Jim Reed. Or just get another one with a 3/16" cutter and have two 044s ready to go with your two most used cutter sizes. Or ultimately you could just ask yourself if you really need a 3/16" cutter.

Gotta love these planes; even replacing parts offers a wealth of options... :lol:

And as I'm here, don't forget the 044 page; always looking for examples from other makers, older models, further info, etc.

Cheers, Alf

I posted this a few years ago - grinding slots in old Stanley #45 blades for use in the #044.

Third from the left is an original #044 blade.

044vs45blades.jpg

Remember, anything that can go in the #45 or #044 can go in the #043. I am not sure, however, why you would want to use anything larger than 1/2".

Regards from Perth

Derek

Thanks all. I may have a go at grinding a notch in the 3/16 cutter that I have. Alternatively I can use my Stanley 13-050 if I do need that particular width. However, I already prefer using the Record; feels better in the hand.

Alf - your 044 page is really good. I have downloaded the instruction book but have to say that the tool is pretty intuitive.

Dave :)

You could just remove the 044's adjuster and use any blade you care to. I never found the adjuster all that necessary -- my fingers being just as precise.

Back