Record 043 - Great plough indeed!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jimi43":zsh75pu6 said:
bugbear":zsh75pu6 said:
jimi43":zsh75pu6 said:
BB....that would be lignum vitae would it? :mrgreen: Now let me see...I have some offcuts I think.... :wink: Actually, Douglas gave me some really old Rio for that very purpose...I am building up the courage to cut it up! :oops:

LV would certainly be a defensible choice...

Alf's example in the favourite tool thread

BugBear

Indeed it would...from a frictionless perspective it would be ideal. However, traditionally, the older ones would be Brazilian Rosewood....and I have an excellent piece that Douglas gave me for the very purpose.

There's no question of authenticity or tradition for the Record #043 or #044 fences - they were merely sold with drilled metal fences, and users could fabricate as they willed.

So I choose to "be inspired by" the older wooden ploughs and fillisters. It was also a good excuse to use a scratch stock on lignum which is FUN!

BugBear

Vann":1ucwhqu4 said:
Ahem Jimi, technique! You starts at the end and works backwards......

Indeed Vann....you have to on the big-uns and woodies but this little whizzer just cut one straight furrow once started so I took the opportunity to photograph it....artistic licence an' all mate! :wink:

woodbloke":1ucwhqu4 said:
Jim, you need to get out a bit more...or at least take some water with it! - Rob

Rob...mate...this and puppy-sitting are the extent of my excitement....sad init! :mrgreen:

BugBear":1ucwhqu4 said:
There's no question of authenticity or tradition for the Record #043 or #044 fences - they were merely sold with drilled metal fences, and users could fabricate as they willed.

So I choose to "be inspired by" the older wooden ploughs and fillisters. It was also a good excuse to use a scratch stock on lignum which is FUN!

BugBear

BB....sorry mate....wrong word "traditional" in this context....what I mean is "contemporary".... I was referring to closer period match (IMHO) rather that what originally came with the plane. I was thinking you probably used a scratch to make those beautiful mouldings....nice job you did too!

I'm really resisting the temptation to go out and make a box for it. :mrgreen: :wink:

Jim

very nice jim, like the fence

although nothing is more pleasing to the eye than an early 45 with the floral patters and rosewood.

P1010497.jpg

adidat

As people are posting pictures of their examples of this useful little beast I will post mine, in the true spirit of gloating:

100_1571.JPG

Given to me as a rather nice present having been restored and "pimped", as the youths say!

Attachments

• 100_1571.JPG
    100_1571.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 902
Hi, Crooked Tree

Very shiny, have you had it chrome plated?

Pete

Anyone noticed... I swear the price of these has risen a good 50% since Alf and then Jim drew attention to the 43. I'm going to wait til things calm down a bit. After all, don't actually need one.

Hi Pete,

it has been re-plated, but in copper followed by nickel, rather than chrome. I think.

condeesteso":38de85he said:
Anyone noticed... I swear the price of these has risen a good 50% since Alf and then Jim drew attention to the 43. I'm going to wait til things calm down a bit. After all, don't actually need one.

Just did a quick check and without giving too much away...um...no. :wink:

I think it would be wise though that if one of our brethren were interested in bidding on one that they made the forum aware and it would then be the gentlemanly (or gentlewomanly!!) thing not to bid against said member.......

There are at least four up on FleaBay at the moment at extremely reasonable prices....I'm sure more than enough to go around! :mrgreen:

Jim

Finally got one, can I come in now :(

One thing I think I will like a lot is no depth adjustment device. Given that my Record 44 and 50, and Stanley 45 all have 'depth adjusters'... I expect this feature on the 43 to be a real big plus.

I adore my 43 :) Its a fantastic little plane! I mostly use it for ploughing truss rod slots in guitar necks.

agreed Trizza - I got one Saturday, and spent maybe an hour cleaning it, then sharpening all 3 blades, which is a really quick job. It's a real cracker - quite small so easy to control, simple to set up and set the depth of cut, and works incredibly well. If you had just one plough I think this is it. (I know the premium ones must be very good, but this Record is available around £30, maybe less, and I can't find anything that lets it down at all.)

Being a Geordie I went for the identical Rapier No 3, made in Gateshead, which additionally gives me a warm feeling in use.

A great plane. Talking of warmth I must get the lighter fuel out, although I normally use parrafin.

Modernist":2etktewx said:
Being a Geordie I went for the identical Rapier No 3, made in Gateshead, which additionally gives me a warm feeling in use.

A great plane. Talking of warmth I must get the lighter fuel out, although I normally use parrafin.

There was a Rapier 043 on FleaBay this month...was that the one? It was in beautiful condition.

What is the quality like? The only Rapier I have ever owned was the 500....the bright red version of the Stanley/Bailey No.5 which sadly was a very poor relation. The 043 on Fleabay had great pictures and you could see that this was a quality tool from those.

I would be interested to compare the two.

Incidentally....for those of you joining this rather vertical but narrow slope....there are some beautiful replacement irons for it from the Ray Iles stable of excellent at WORKSHOP HEAVEN HERE for the superb price of only £12 for three! That's four quid each for something this good.

I'm not saying that the originals aren't good enough (before I get myself into the corporal mortification that is yet another replacement iron debate :mrgreen: ) but many of these planes are missing their shoes...lost in the workshops of time and single shod versions are relatively cheap.

Jim

Jim

I also have one of the Rapier copies - I don't have the Record to put side by side, but it seems absolutely fine to me. When I bought it, I had got fed up with waiting for one to appear on eBay - supplies seem to be quite healthy again now.

What's the difference and rarity of the different numbers, seems to be a lot of 44,45,50 record planes out there?

I do have a 50 which i got of the bay a couple of weeks ago, however have not been over to UK to pick it up, so not really sure what to expect...

here's the 43 beside a 50. Makes the 43 look tiny, but the 43 does handle really well. The 50 has a depth adjuster locating in the side of blade. I think this depth adjuster is quite good, certainly better than the variant used on the 44 (a screw into slot under blade which wears then tends to disengage). Note the 3 example cutters that come with a 50 (if it has the full set). I feel these are a bit ambitious for the size of the 50, but others may disagree. But note the full set includes the narrower range of square ploughs also. I reckon the 50 is a good mid-size plough. (pic bigger if you click on it)
edit: the dust on the 50 and absence of sharpness on the blades here suggests something.
43-50-1.jpg

Attachments

• 43-50-1.jpg
    43-50-1.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 823
In the interests of experimentation I picked one up on eBay for £16. Not as shiny as some of these others, but it's all there, with 3 blades. Works well, although I don't find it particularly comfortable to hold.

6901376011_fcfa56b4c6_z.jpg

I made a fancy wooden fence just for giggles yesterday afternoon.

Ed

Back