Record 0120 plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swb58

Established Member
Reaction score
I rescued one these from a garage clear out today. It'll clean up nicely but the wooden front knob has a slice missing off the side. I wouldn't mind making a new one one day but does anyone know how the threaded rod is fixed in the knob? Is the thread the same along its length or is there a courser screw thread for the wood end. I'll surely break or damage something if I investigate.

Any insight appreciated.

I have just been and looked at my 0130 which is probably similar.
When I unscrewed the knob it exposed a bit of threaded rod, which fits into a stud which comes up from the bed of the plane. I couldn't remove the rod, which is firmly fixed in the wooden knob and also inside a recess which conceals the stud.

Two thoughts. If your knob fits ok you could just smooth off the flat, glue a bit of new wood on, and carve/rasp it to shape.
Or if you want to turn a replacement, you could split your old one in two, releasing the threaded rod.

Or a third thought: the threaded rod is 3/16" Whitworth, so you could get a suitable screw and force it into a smaller hole in a new knob with some epoxy or superglue if needed.

Thanks for the reply, yours sounds like exactly the same fitting. I couldn't see a way of taking it apart without breaking it.
I'm not fanatical about looks so I'll leave well alone for now, at least it's solid as it is. Let's see how it performs first.

Thanks.

I decided to give it a bath in vinegar, put it in yesterday. By the afternoon there was a thick layer of slush on the top of the liquid and even more now which I presume is frozen water. So if the acid is more concentrated would that make it work faster?

If it's outside and freezing, you're not going to get any improvement!
Bring it indoors and start again in the kitchen.
I normally use citric acid which comes as dry crystals which I mix with warm water - warmth speeds up the chemical reactions.

swb58":2664kt2g said:
Blasted weather!...
I'll say! It's been flamin hot down here in the south Pacific. Unusually so. I can't do a thing without perspiring profusely...

I'll get me coat... (nah, hang on, that'll make me sweat more #-o ).

Cheers, Vann.

Back