Recommendations

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dm65

Established Member
Reaction score
Evening all

This place I've just moved into needs a full rewire imho but I don't know any tradesmen any more

Can anyone recommend a decent person or company - I am in Leeds, LS12 to be more precise

I have had one quote so far and while the proposed 10 days seems way over the top, I have no idea whether his quote is high or low - as its 4 figures (no surprise) it needs to be spent well

Hello there
Have a good look around but think about what you need plan it out. Ring main upstairs, ring downstairs, ringmain for kitchen, lights up lights down,garage power. plan your sockets you need loads around the telly area kitchen needs well planning. Think about your needs and it will help the lads who do the work. If you price around you will get an average but get a feel for the Electrician and don't just go for the low price.

Type in Trust a Trader and when asked your postcode. I have used them several times for various jobs and always been satisfied.
Hope this helps
John

For a typical 3 bed semi, full strip out and replace (everything new basically), and assuming an average of 4 sockets in lounge and 4 in dining room with 2 in each bedroom and 5 in the kitchen with cooker and shower supplies, I normally charge anywhere between £3k and £5k. The price depends a lot on specs (ie; plain white sockets or fancy chrome? Pendant drop lights or fancy fittings?). My prices include making good afterwards (plastering up where necessary and re-fitting floorboards but not painting or papering). I'd normally allow a full week for the work to give me breathing space if any problems should arise.

I just did some searching for how good trusted trader, FMB, rated people, checkatrade etc are.

Essentially they are all ... not as reliable as you'd hope, with some true horror stories for all of them.

Word of mouth and proper checking of references and previous work remain the only
truly solid way.

I truly hoped there was a reliable rating/feedback system, because I'd like to USE it myself,
but it seems not.

BugBear

I use RatedPeople for work. The tradesmen build up a list of references provided by previous clients. You can always ask them for ref's. It's just a way of finding trades men. Another would be to contact an electrical suppliers, they will have a list of their account customers who are likely to be regular and 'proper' tradesmen.

Thanks for all the replies everyone

It's always difficult I suppose as how can you know who does a good electrical job ?

Easy to make good and look pretty, but as an example, when I moved in, I had awful boiler trouble - british gas came out twice and replaced parts (circuit board being the first) but it turns out that whoever fitted the boiler had wired it to a socket in the bedroom and not the closest one for some reason !!!!

Went round all the sockets with a friend as there where some other issues as well and by pure chance, he just happened to have the socket in his hand as I walked in the bathroom - as he moved it, the power went off to the boiler !!

Closer inspection showed loose connections, but also what you can see below
IMAG0926(2).jpg

That's all I could cut back just so I could use a terminal block to make a proper connection and haven't had boiler trouble since

Sorry, went off on one, I guess what I mean is you want to find a tradesman (any trade) who is good at what he's there to do. In this case, I'd rather have a brilliant electrician who can't patch up

I will have a look at the websites mentioned though, I've seen them advertised on tv but didn't think of looking

Attachments

• IMAG0926(2).jpg
    IMAG0926(2).jpg
    254.9 KB · Views: 621
Back