Recommend me a good mechanical pencil...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The pentel arrived this morning - where's it been all my life !! I must have bought 10-20 mechanical pencils over the years and been dissapointed with all of them not lasting very long. This thing feels like a decent piece of kit- the retractable nib is genius! ! I've just ordered a 0.3mm version.
A million thankyous to recommending this.

Coley

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

ColeyS1":1rle8ptu said:
The pentel arrived this morning - where's it been all my life !! I must have bought 10-20 mechanical pencils over the years and been dissapointed with all of them not lasting very long. This thing feels like a decent piece of kit- the retractable nib is genius! ! I've just ordered a 0.3mm version.
A million thankyous to recommending this.

Coley

I had a 0.3 in the workshop for years. It never really made a useful mark on a piece of wood.

I tried it every so often, broke the lead, put it back in the drawer.

The recent Pentels I bought in 0.5 and 0.7 are so much more practical (*)

Before you buy an expensive/good 0.3 mm pencil, I recommend trying a cheap one, to see if the lead size is useful to you.

BugBear

(*) confession: I bought a new 0.3 too, to complete the set. It will probably only be used on paper, not wood.

Thanks Bugbear for your thoughts . I did use a 0.3mm quite a bit when it worked, especially on mdf. I think the metal end may have got a bit crushed, cause I was forever trying to clear the ffffing thing and unblock the hole. My only concern with the pentel, is how many times it will retract before finally wearing out.

Coley

Another fan of the graphgears, but not for the garage where i have a load of cheapies scattered about.

We are all obviously the sharpest pencils in the box. :roll:

Mike

Wish I could go to work now and start using it. The excitement is keeping me awake :D

I wished people would stop posting on here late at night, it interrupts my game of Solitaire :wink:

Mike

I don't use mechanical pencils, I would lose them and that would be a shame. Instead I bought a 96 pack of ticonderoga pencils. I have had it for over a year and not spent a whole pack yet so this will last decades. They are strewn here and there in the shop, many get lost for a while then found under a machine or other stuff. Just not possible for me to keep track of a single pencil unfortunately.

And the 55 X-acto sharpener gives me really sharp, fine lines.

Did you hear about the constipated mathematician? He used a pencil to work it out.

I'll get my coat.

Perfect timing, wife was looking for a birthday pressie for me, I want one of those Japanese ones. Not for the workshop but just because.

F.

Fitzroy":2ogt8f9c said:
Perfect timing, wife was looking for a birthday pressie for me, I want one of those Japanese ones. Not for the workshop but just because.

F.

Good reason.

Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful.

-- William Morris

BugBear

And finally...

Thanks for all the suggestions, bought the Pentel Graphgear in the end. Fantastic pencil and so far no broken leads! Just need to try and not lose it now.

Cheers
Simon

Once you pop, you can't stop though.......
4d5109216666246cecda82014ebb0c6b.jpg

The 0.3mm arrived this morning. I'd be mad not to get the 0.9mm for rough marking. Then maybe the 0.7mm for semi rough marking. I wonder if they sell a presentation case. If they did, I could make a box to keep the presentation case clean, then put it in a drawer :lol:

Coley

Latest posts

Back