Recommend drafting software

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chippy1970

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm about to draw some plans for my single storey extension and tried doing it in sketch up and also tried draft sight . Sketch up didn't seem suited for the job and I didn't get on with draft sight.

Can anyone recommend any others preferably free ?

Both pieces of software you have tried are excellent, draftsight for 2d is very accurate, sketchup for 3d is awesome for giving full persective views, especially if you export and render in kerkythea2008

Yeah like you say sketch up is more 3d. I might have to download draft sight again and give it another go. I couldn't seem to get it to scale correctly

chippy1970":2dwrv1sb said:
Yeah like you say sketch up is more 3d. I might have to download draft sight again and give it another go. I couldn't seem to get it to scale correctly

There's no reason you can't do 2D in SketchUp. It's certainly designed for what you want to do.

Yeah I did try using sketch up but I used the trial of layout which I thought would do. I might try using the main sketch up this time.

I've also got an old version of Microsoft Visio that I could install again

LayOut would be an excellent choice for the documentation and for adding content such as dimensions, labels and even hatching. Start in SketchUp and do the drawing work there. If you need help with that you might try contacting Dave R at http://www.thewoodhaven2.co.uk/

Yeah Dave helped me out once before , he really knows sketch up

I started again this afternoon with sketch up and it's looking good so far.

Back