Recommend chuck?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacob

New Luddism. Wake up and resist.
Reaction score
What's a good value chuck for my Arundel J4 senior with M30 x 3.5 thread.
Are there adaptors for different threads?

PS Robert Sorby Patriot Chuck - with 2" Jaws DIRECT FIT for M33 x 3.5mm Spindle 
plus adaptor
looks good?

Starting from scratch. All my old Record and other stuff went with my old lathe.

for that lathe thread, you are not going to get a directly threaded chuck. You will need one with either a machined backplate, eg the tool post versachuck, or one with an insert. I am not that knowledgeable on the insert chuck, but https://www.poolewood.co.uk/product/rob ... t-patriot/ is one, and the vicmarc system is another. Vicmarc is expensive, but they do some odd threads that other manufacturers don't.

that topic is a bit different, but there are several similar. I suspect that your decision will be relatively simple because there are few chucks that will adapt to your thread size. I wouldn't personally do for an expert, because they will stick out a fair way, but I have never actually used one, so am prepared to be corrected.

I have an exert on my chuck permanently, it was there when I bought the lathe presumably because 1 1/2" x 6 threaded chucks are uncommon. I thought one day to take it off for some reason, then thought hold on a minute you tit - it's accurate, and if it ain't bust don't fix it. :D
DSCN2230.JPG

It's good enough for something this small where concentricity matters, so it's fine by me.
It causes me no grief whatsoever, but it is on a heavy machine so I wouldn't like to say how they are on a fairly light one. The actual extra clearance from the headstock can be useful to me - I can get the banjo and toolrest behind the faceplate.
If I were buying new I would look to be without one, though.

Attachments

• DSCN2230.JPG
    DSCN2230.JPG
    129.4 KB · Views: 606
The most mechanically sound setup would be a VersaChuck from the Toolpost with an ISO Backplate to suit.

This would entail a Blank Back Plate being threaded by a Machine Shop to suit the lathe spindle. (not a cheap option unless you can take the spindle out for them to use as a mating pattern, might get away with using an existing faceplate as a template for them to make a dummy spindle.)

And this is important:-
When threading to fit spindle it is not just a case of cutting the thread accurately but ensuring that any spindle register collar, if there is one, is matched correctly as well.

Without good alignment collar match there is always a chance that thread alignment alone won't guarantee concentric alignment.

If you have a decent faceplate then you can fit an ISO VersaChuck to it yourself by fitting an alloy disc locating tenon and turning it to size on the lathe with your HSS wood tools.
ChuckReg.JPG

Attachments

• ChuckReg.JPG
    ChuckReg.JPG
    150.4 KB · Views: 548
Thanks for that - plenty of options!
Sorby seem to supply an insert of the right size but to adjust from M30 to M33 seems unlikely so I've dropped them an email. Seems best option if they can do it.
The lathe only cost £100 so spending a bit on a chuck is not so bad!

I believe that spent do 2 chucks. I is threaded for M33. The other takes an insert to whatever you need. It isn't the M33 chuck that takes the insert.

marcros":bsan6rsv said:
I believe that spent do 2 chucks. I is threaded for M33. The other takes an insert to whatever you need. It isn't the M33 chuck that takes the insert.
What is "spent"?
I guess Sorby do other sizes plus insert but their website isn't very clear. I'll have to wait and see what they say.

Record Power SC4 chuck is available with a M30 x 3.5mm insert (No.62130, included in the price of a complete chuck). Insert can be changed to other threads including M33 x 3.5mm at a later date if you decide to change your lathe.
Robert Sorby Patriot chuck (Not the direct thread version) is also available with an M30 x 3.5mm insert.
Cannot take a M33 x 3.5mm insert, but it can take an excert (about £40 I think).
Jaws are compatible between SC4/Patriot/Nova chucks
Duncan

Unfortunately the Versachuck has been out of stock for quite some time.

The Patriot chuck is some £50 dearer.

I think Duncan A has given you the best answer with the Record SC4.

Edited for typo.

Gone for the Sorby in the end. Yes more expensive but experience of Pro-edge on one hand and Record C3 (and simpler Record chucks) on the other, says to me that Sorby has the edge in design and engineering.
Thanks for info all.

Back