recommedations for a usb powered hub

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
I've read a few customer reviews and seems to be a bit of a minefield. Inadequate power, not being recognised etc.

Any recommendations from you guys?

Belkin are a good and reliable brand - I tried a few with various problems, before I got a Belkin. Never had an issue. make sure it's USB 2.0 though.

Hi there,

unfortunately, you do not explain what you want to do with the hub. If you are connecting devices, the prob usually arises when you have a mix of active/passive and/or usb powered devices mixed with external powered devices. Yes it should all work but is becomes cranky very quickly and unreliable.
This funny enough is the situation where firewire is far superior in negotiation between devices.

If on the other hand you want to connect PCs then save a lot of pain and use Ethernet - heck even a cross-over cable will do.

Hi I'm on techie but do agree with Brian D as Ihad that same problem . Ethernet adapter cable , just coppers and job done . Cheers !

Roger
I have a 4 port USB 2 Belkin hub - F5U234.
Works ok - don't trying putting a scanner and printer on the same hub though - rarely get on.
Cheers
Gidon

Thanks for the suggestions.

It was for various peripherals such as a memory card reader, a Wacom Intuous graphics tablet, a Canon scanner - none of which are powered. The external drives are all firewire with the exception of one which is powered but rarely used. Seem to have built up a collection of external drives over the years :oops:

As far as printers go, its' networked as are any other computers and anything else that has an ethernet port on it. All go back to the switch. Ethernet out to the workshop even and a wireless access point on the end of it. Used to keep a 250Gb La Cie NAS there but being driven by Microsoft, it's not happy with proper file names and insists on truncating any long filenames that I have on the Mac - so that'll be going on eBay shortly.

It is amazing how much IT detritus one acquires over the years.

Anyway, will give the Belkin a whirl.

Back