Recent Student Work

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sgian Dubh

Established Member
Reaction score
Nowadays I don't have much opportunity to design and make my own furniture due to my full-time teaching commitments and a rather large ongoing sideline involving the research and writing up of a technical manuscript on timber technology. I do however oversee the developing furniture designing and making efforts of the students on the furniture course I run. This means doing pretty much everything from writing the course curriculum, creating the briefs, teaching the learners both theoretical and practical furniture making skills, offering guidance on a range of furniture subjects, etc.

I've attached a couple of links to pages at my website where I hope some of you will have a browse to see the work that (hopefully) some, or perhaps quite a few, future furniture designers and makers have created. On show at these pages is probably only about 20 or 25 percent of all the work furniture students on the course do. Only actual furniture designed and made by recent graduates is shown, and not all the graduates work was photographed to make it on to these web pages. There is probably as much work again, or perhaps more, created by first year students. Secondly, only part of what students learn is practical furniture designing and making, the rest of what they are asked to study being academic in nature. Anyway, here are the links:
http://www.richardjonesfurniture.com/Te ... -2010.html
http://www.richardjonesfurniture.com/Te ... -2010.html Slainte.

Yes, I agree. I did suggest the student cut those bolts off so they were less obvious. I guess I could Photoshop them out, ha, ha. Slainte.

photoshop, yes do it,
the other stuff is exquisite to say the least, maybe the red chair guy done that on purpose?, you've gotta give room to artistic merit ?

slainte var :wink:

Thank you for sharing these photos, Richard. It's always great to see the current work of other makers - and even better to see that much of the pieces made at your college were commissioned! Impressive stuff. :)

And again, thanks for sharing these pictures. Some very inspiring work here.

Your students are to be congratulated, especially in finding a tutor who is capable of stimulating them to this level of creativity.

David

wow!! I love the sculpted birch ply desk. Really striking. I guess it's the sort of thing that looks simple yet is easy to 'over do'.

You must be proud of your students! 8)

pren":2oyiapvu said:
wow!! I love the sculpted birch ply desk. Really striking. I guess it's the sort of thing that looks simple yet is easy to 'over do'.

You must be proud of your students! 8)

Me too thats the best project there for me it looks amazing.

Latest posts

Back