rebating with a trimmer advice needed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnny

Established Member
Reaction score
I am constructing a simple box with single rebated joints using 18mm hardwood veneered ply (Wickes ) .
I need to rebate 18mm x 12mm from the top and bottom sections for the sides of the box

I have done some experimenting and I'm finding that the wood is burning and the bit has lost its edge so I'm assuming that I am attempting to take off too much at once ?
Initially I made 5x full depth passes at max (6) speed ,taking approx 4mm at a time by the full 12mm depth of the rebate .Am I expecting too much of a Makita 007 trimmer ?
Should I be aiming to take less material off by taking more passes ? or should I be rebating half the depth (6mm ) with several passes at each depth ?
have I got the speed set too high ?

I'm impatient :roll:

Attachments

• rebate.jpg
    rebate.jpg
    1.7 KB · Views: 81
You could saw most it off by hand first, so the router is only taking a couple of mm off at most.

If you have a diamond stone, you could shatpen the bit, it can make a bit of difference. Also its worth cleanng the router bit if its got a build up of burnt residue, use thinners and a brush.

thak you Robin. I was just curious to know how much material I should take off in a pass as its making very hard work of it at 4mm x 12mm
If I had a table saw I'd probably have tried to cut them with that but all I have is a Circ saw .
It never occured to me to use a handsaw :roll: but then I would have had some very irregular surfaces to try and tidy up with the trimmer and it might have torn it up a bit.

I had intended to use 12mm ply so the 1/4" bit I bought was a 20x12mm however I found a good deal on 18mm so I should probably have used a larger bit but I'm not sure which one I should buy.
I think this bit is beyond saving as it has actually lost its profile. Luckily I have a couple of spares.

I believe he bought a silverline one Phil, after opinions on suppliers were given before.

I'd suggest like the others have, buy a better quality bit and cut the rebates in shallow passes. 12mm is fine width wise but you are asking a lot of the bit to cut 4x12mm in each pass. Try 1mm deep passes and see how you get on.
Also remember router bits often come covered in a oily or waxy Residue which needs cleaning off thoroughly with white spirit before you use them.

Adam9453":1ben1zpg said:
I'd suggest like the others have, buy a better quality bit and cut the rebates in shallow passes. 12mm is fine width wise but you are asking a lot of the bit to cut 4x12mm in each pass. Try 1mm deep passes and see how you get on.
Also remember router bits often come covered in a oily or waxy Residue which needs cleaning off thoroughly with white spirit before you use them.

1mm passes would result in a minimum of 18 passes each edge of the top and bottom which seems rather a lot . :shock:
I think I'd lose the will to live trying to adjust to 1mm on my diy setup!.
I think I was trying to take too much off at 4mm per pass because I was impatient and I was also rather concerned at the noise levels for my neighbours .

I'll try 2mm and reduce the speed a little . Perhaps the speed was also contributing to the burning due to the friction
Thanks for the advice

Latest posts

Back