Really useful brace to identify

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Vann":1e1qvrzy said:
AndyT":1e1qvrzy said:
Vann, if I was thinking of buying that, I'd check with the seller first - it looks like the vitally important inner part with the two gripping jaws is missing...
Hi Andy. I wasn't thinking of bidding (not even at $1), as I have more 10" braces than you can shake a stick at :oops:

I think (from memory) those chucks are called "Universal" chucks (at least by Stanley).

Here are my two...

Top one is an 8" Stanley No.917; lower one is a 10" Pexto No.7010.

I've got nothing that comes close to that ratchet mechanism though.

Cheers, Vann.
I like the look of that top one, looks similar to the North Bros 2100 braces. Are they related?

Rhyolith":1u0l0eft said:
I like the look of that top one, looks similar to the North Bros 2100 braces. Are they related?
Not really, except that the 917 and 2100 were both made by Stanley USA at some period. The ratchet mechanisms are not the same, but I have to say, the 917 ratchet is nearly as smooth as the 2100.

Cheers, Vann.

Good find! Was it from eBay or a dealer? And how well does it work?

AndyT":3ebqmy77 said:
Good find! Was it from eBay or a dealer? And how well does it work?
eBay. I have not drill with it yet, but all the parts are moving nice smoothly :) I like the idea of the chunk a lot, will give a verdict when I have tested it in anger ;)

Downwindtracker2":3ebqmy77 said:
When the patient expired the Germans picked it up. I have one, a Primas, it's funky with the jaws hanging half out.
Photo?

There's a link to one with the same chuck on "Brace Question" I Googled it through an American collector's web page as a unknown German? brace. Then recently here.

I'm retired now, so computer skills are not a naturel part of me ,as they are to my sons. I should learn, I've found some interesting things. When I was an apprentice carpenter in the early '70s, we still used brace and bit and handsaws on hi-rise concrete forms, thus my interest.

BTW I've found the odd Ridgeway bit, they are better quality than super common Irwins.

Back