Real beginner questions

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdevine

Reaction score
What tools do I need to make a rounded edge? I can imagine a router would do it but how to ensure the transition to the faces is smooth? Even more difficult - how is it done when the faces aren't at 90 degrees?

I'm just getting started on woodworking and it's questions like this that make me realise I need some good books and/or DVDs for general woodworking - can anyone recommend any?

Thanks, Bob

A round over bit in a router would have a bearing that would keep one end of the radius accurate to the edge of the work. The other end of the radius would need to be set to the face of the work by adjusting the plunge of the router and testing on a piece of prepared scrap until the radius is as you want. You will be a little limited in the size of radius available.

However, if the face and edge are not at 90deg then you may be as well off doing the radius by hand using a plane and then a shaped sanding block or cabinet scraper.
The ease of doing this also depends on what size the radius is and the length of the timber you want to work with and if it needs to match up with other pieces at a joint or corner.

The book recommended to my students is Furniture Making by Joyce. ther eare others and it is worth getting a selection.
Also raiding boot sales and charity shops sometimes produces soem very old wood working books. These can be very useful in learning how to do things by hand before you get around to investing in great big lumps of machinery.
The hand working methods are always useful anyway as it improves your ability to 'see' how it works and often for small amounts of work it is quicker then setting up a machine for a one off.

rdevine":31b0ikgo said:
What tools do I need to make a rounded edge? I can imagine a router would do it but how to ensure the transition to the faces is smooth? Even more difficult - how is it done when the faces aren't at 90 degrees?

I'm just getting started on woodworking and it's questions like this that make me realise I need some good books and/or DVDs for general woodworking - can anyone recommend any?

Thanks, Bob

I've posted this link here before. Read a couple of these "tips" every day and it will add to your knowledge.

http://www.woodshoptips.com/tips/index.htm

looks like the site is down entirely mate... :roll:

Apart from that, these guys on hte forum kow what they're talking about - as said above, do it by hand if poss / short length - and inconsistencies make it a design feature!

I tend to plane if poss, then take a metal working (cough / spit) file angled almost parallel to the length, just curving it over, then sand - freehand. Mostly works for me - but there again I am a butcher with wood!

Mailman14":2h7z0ruc said:
then sand - freehand. Mostly works for me - but there again I am a butcher with wood!

One of the advantages with free hand sanding is being able to feel the surface imperfections.

With a lot of my work I like making freeform and tactile surfaces and edges. I do all these freehand and spend a lot of time just stroking the surface checking for any bits that don't feel right. It allows me to remove ripples and uneven radii that can't be seen.

Night Train":3o3k2t02 said:
Mailman14":3o3k2t02 said:
then sand - freehand. Mostly works for me - but there again I am a butcher with wood!

One of the advantages with free hand sanding is being able to feel the surface imperfections.

With a lot of my work I like making freeform and tactile surfaces and edges. I do all these freehand and spend a lot of time just stroking the surface checking for any bits that don't feel right. It allows me to remove ripples and uneven radii that can't be seen.

And there was I, thinking it was just me! Glad to see I'm not alone in this practice.

Back