Reading up on table saw useage?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ateallthepies

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Can anyone recommend me a book on all things table saw?

I would like something that tells a novice TS operator how to cut safely, set up jigs and make the right cuts?

Also pictures would be helpful!

There is only so much I can learn off youtube you see!

Ta,

Steve.

Best book on all aspects including best working practices and safety, Kelly Mehler's The Tablesaw Book (2008):

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Table-Saw-Book- ... 488&sr=1-1

"This book is a comprehensive reference to the table saw. It explains how to choose a table saw to suit your needs, setting it up and provides indepth illustrated instruction in all the basic operations: - Aligning the rip fence - Ripping thin stock - Making accurate cross cuts - - Handling sheet goods - Selecting the right blade - Working safely - - Cutting dadoes, grooves and tenons - Sawing large or thick stock - This is a complete revision, making it essentially a new book. The first edition quickly became an essential tool reference for woodworkers, since the table saw is the cornerstone of any woodworking shop. The book covers how to choose a table saw to fit the owners need, it reviews all basic operations including ripping, cross-cutting, handling large stock and sheet good as well special techniques and joinery. * Illustrated step-by-step with over 200 colour photographs and black & white line drawings."

As you are so obviously new to the world of woodworking machines, the best advice I can give on the use of table saws is not to go near one until you are 100% confident on using it. Read the above books, and buy a DVD or two (I have found it a lot easier to follow a DVD then a book) but don't even turn one on unless you are happy with your capability.

Sorry if this sounds a bit blunt, but I would like to be talking to a 10 digit Steve in 5 years time, rather then to find out you were put off the hobby after losing a couple of fingers.

Good luck and may you have many, many years of woodworking

Mike

Back