Re: yet more identification help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks folks. I will let you know the hammer count soon. Possibly gonna try for the ukworkshop record!!

I read up about left handed chisels, but can't find them now. I am left handed too. But it's a right handed world. Looks like someone else taken a fancy to our pink chisels and now female!!

John Brown":3l18vsk8 said:
I know there are some serious hoarders on this forum, but personally, I believe tools are for using, not collecting. If you want to collect something, there are always stamps.

I might have agreed with you, except some people collect them to keep them AWAY from the hands of Phil E. Stines (Phil Attely's cousin) who will do things like drill a hole in them and put a pipping TEALIGHT in it! (see my NOOOOOOO! thread)

Or other such nonsense.

They often then stand a chance of getting passed onto another generation of users, because clearly there are nowehere near as many vintage handtools around as there used to be 100 years ago, because there are significantly fewer users around.

Lindas":3b8hz6l1 said:
I read up about left handed chisels, but can't find them now. I am left handed too. But it's a right handed world. Looks like someone else taken a fancy to our pink chisels and now female!!

Ahh I was thinking more about the marking knives - sorry should have stated that - marking knives sometimes come (or can be made) to be an opposite pair - I could explain why, but that's not really going to help your siutation any right now.

I don't see why Linda's marking knives used for metal can't be repurposed for wood? I'll bet the steel is certainly up to it.

Yes I think I did see left and right marking knives. Point at the end for metal, copper maybe. Sharp and shaped for wood marking. They are Marples but I can’t find any to guide pricing.

Thank you every one.

Thank you, that's helpful and the pricing idea too. That's part of the problem for my sister and I, no idea of value so don't know what to scrap incase it is useful or valuable

if there are items that you are happy are not worth selling, but are too good to scrap there is a charity that sends them to Africa. It would be worth having a box in the corner to collect these up as the clearer progresses.

keep the photos coming, people will soon tell you whether something is useful, or rare and generally what it is.

Thank you. Having the name of the Africa charity would be good. I would like to contact them. They might be able to use things like the vice screws, sand paper, rasps and files. That would be the perfect solution. Yes I think sorting into different category piles is best. We a still at the uncovering stage and perhaps until we fully know what we have we won’t feel confident to dispose. I’ll start a new thread for the hammer competition. Hope there might be some interesting ones to look at.

Back