Re painting pine bedroom furniture.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackrodd

Established Member
Reaction score
'Er indoors is very keen for me to get recycling and paint our pine, spare bedroom furniture, and put an oak top
on the chest of drawers.
A light blue, has been mentioned, or a magnolia, type beige.
I must admit, this is better quality stuff without any thin mdf, or hardboard backs etc.
Can I assume that the present clear finish would be cellulose and just a simple rub down before painting will suffice?
Any experience and thoughts greatly appreciated.
Rodders

I've done something similar, bought some second hand pine furniture and painted it white leaving the knobs and top pine.

I used chalk paint and finished it with wax, but depends if that is the style you want. In terms of the existing finish on the pine, I sanded over as you would any other finish and the chalk paint took to it well, not sure how a satin or something else would take to it though.

The chalk paint worked well for me as the Mrs. wanted shabby chic look, so I was able to sand through it to the pine on the corners and edges.

Hello Craigus, thanks for you're reply, what type of paint did you use, please and how long to dry?
Regards Rodders

Annie Sloan chalk paint. Dried in under an hour.

I think the product is aimed at people who either don't have the skill to use a traditional paint finish, or can't be bothered to put the effort in. Not that there is anything wrong with that, I certainly am no good with a paint brush, I used it simply because I needed to get our whole bedroom done over a weekend before a house move, so it was the right thing to use.

If you google Annie Sloan you'll find loads of info. It is a very matt finish though, I don't think you can get a shine with it if that's what you are after.

Back