Anni Sloan paint

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackrodd

Established Member
Reaction score
Advice please, on using this Annie Sloan paint on softwood.
I'm making a sofa table using ALEX WEBB'S book, MAKING COUNTRY FURNITURE.
This one will have an Ash top and drawer front, the rest is in softwood, Which I want to paint.
I remember someone was about to use this ANNIE SLOAN paint finish and I wonder how it will
take to new and unprimed softwood and should I get the brush they sell, is it necessesary?
I've made everything in the book, Which I can recommend, but not made the pine blanket chest.
I like simple country furniture, I have used oak, ash and elm, and there's a nice chunky 6' x 3' Table
Sorry to say still can't post pics, 'Er indoors can't stand the Anglo Saxon language!
Thanks and regards Rodders

Not sure if this helps but my wife does a lot of “distressed” :) painting using Annie Sloane paint, also sometimes uses her own paint made from plaster of Paris mixed with emulsion paint.

The last project was on arched mirror frames with louvered doors I had made from MDF she painted them with Annie Sloan paints direct on the MDF, finished with Bee’s wax. The paint adhered very well. Just don't expect a smooth finish #-o

regards

Hemsby, thanks for the reply. What is the reason for the non smooth finish?
Thick paint, brush, or that's how it is!
I need this table base to be smooth, painted finish.
Regards Rodders

Annie Sloane paints are “Chalk” paint designed to be applied to achieve aged finishes. Basically they are of a non prep, brush on thick consistency and normally a base coat of some colour with another colour applied in patches then when dry (very quick) lightly sanded to thin edges and show other colours through etc, obtaining the old paint look, finally waxed.

No matter how carefully it was applied and any amount of subsequent fine rubbing down between coats I think due to is ingredients and quick drying a good finish would be almost impossible to obtain ](*,) .

One of its attraction is its ability to adhere to almost any unprepared surface including waxed & polished finishes making it ideal for up cycling furniture =D>

The use of this type of paint is definitely not intended for any type of what you would call a good paint finish but ideal for that aged French Château/furniture effect :) .

It can even be used on material to appear like old leather, seen it done but never tried :!:

Regards

Keith

It's good, covers everything and sticks like shinola to the proverbial, but don't expect a flawless finish. The paint is very thick and dries quickly so brush marks are inevitable. Knocking it back with wire wool and wax smooths it somewhat and gives a nice soft sheen. I've used it successfully over previously waxed pieces which was my reason for trying it in the first place. On new soft wood I've had good results with regular emulsion and a coat of wax, no primer required. I too like simple country furniture and a subtle painted finish is entirely appropriate.

Bit late I know... Rust-oleum also do a chalk finish furniture paint. Covers most things and leaves a thick chalky finish or sand back for a smoother finish. I almost enjoyed using it (i hate painting with a passion). Very little smell as well. Its about £15 per litre at the big orange diy shops.

No skills":3gdp530j said:
Bit late I know... Rust-oleum also do a chalk finish furniture paint. Covers most things and leaves a thick chalky finish or sand back for a smoother finish. I almost enjoyed using it (i hate painting with a passion). Very little smell as well. Its about £15 per litre at the big orange diy shops.

Thanks for the reply, no skills, I have noticed the add's recently on Rustoleum, now you've mentioned it, will check it out
in B&q must be worth a look.
Regards Rodders

Autentico is another brand, it's a bit thinner than AS paint, so may be easier to get a smooth finish.
There are plenty of places selling painted old furniture now, maybe you should get out and look at a few to see if you like the finish.

Back