Re-doing the Garden

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just have a look before you commit. I got some from somewhere which was about £3 a length and it was rubbish. I think it was B&Q and I got it to use as a base for a trailer because it was even reduced from that price. it was thin, probably finishing at 20mm. As a deck it would have lasted a couple of years and it never did get used for what I intended. the last lot I got for another job was ex 32mm and about £7 a length. Wickes do something similar but are £10 a length, so it is worth shopping around but make sure you are comparing like with like.

where are you based, Hampshire is too wide an area to offer any meaningful suggestions. wickes you can see the prices online. I worked for travis 20 years ago and they were never cheap then, but it depended on who you were. probably changed since then.

The internet is your best bet for the decking, I recently priced a job & no one local could get close to what the direct folks on the internet were charging & they even sent out samples.
For treated pine I’d search for local fencing supplies certainly around here they are a lot cheaper than the sheds & builders merchants.
As for concrete blocks if you are rendering them why buy new, look on free cycle or Facebook market place, they can often be picked up free from demolition jobs as skips cost so much these days.
As for sand, cement etc I use Wickes, I’ve given up on builders merchants even with an account you still have to haggle with prices & getting served can easily waste 3/4 of an hour from your day. At least with Wickes you can be in & out in 10 minutes & back working.
I'm half way through repointing a stone wall in lime mortar and needed a bulk bag of yellow sharp sand but couldn't get any from our local building suppliers, including Travis; they all only had red sharp sand which turns mortar pink. I then tried Wickes and they had it in stock. I rolled up with the trailer and they loaded it straightaway - great service.

Thanks marcos I am in Basingstoke. I managed to get my guy to a lower price of 1400 all in, and he’s getting the materials from Wicks. I’ll double check the thickness

Hey All

where is the best/reasonable costs place to get building materials? And would anyone be willing to offer their trade discount to me? I’m located in Hampshire, so delivered from whatever company would be best.

So the Mrs has decided that we are re-doing the garden as project for this season. The good thing is, she has a design together which consists of:

- seated planters made from concrete blocks and rendered in white

- a new patio using this plastic like decking tiles

- a pergola from standard treated pine/whatever.

Thanks
Two tears ago I built an 8m X 3m deck with composite from "Cladco" from the interweb. Great product. Reversible for different finishes. Fixings come with a ratchet allen key which is a big help. Never had a problem with it being slippery but does get really warm in summer (remember Summer). I spray it with a product called "Wet & Forget" twice a year and jet wash once a year. Brilliant product and would never go back to wood decking.

Attachments

• Decking 2.JPG
    Decking 2.JPG
    140 KB · Views: 17
The thickness from wicks is 28mm. I hope that would be good enough for the budget

Worth getting a Wickes discount card as it gets 10% discount off everything in the shop unlike B n Q which is now a waste of time.

NewbieRaf

I would check the quality of your guys previous work, my sister had a deck put in, cheapest price she could get, and the work is not great, finish was awful, very much construction grade carpentry, rough cuts, clumsy finish, splintered edges.

If you have the time, I think it is something that you could do yourself and maintain quality control

Worth getting a Wickes discount card as it gets 10% discount off everything in the shop unlike B n Q which is now a waste of time.
Too true, at least on B and Q, don't have much experience of wickes, the B and Q senior discount used to be on anything, but is now just gardening, as if you get to retirement age and then move into a tent. Ridiculous, especially as it only applies on wednesdays.

Not sure what other discount cards they run, but I assume it is similarly rubbish.

Re. Wickes, just did a quick search and it came up with a trade discount of 10%, but strictly trade, requiring trade ID. Is there another scheme I've missed, doesn't sound like NewbieRaf is in the trade.

The guy is actually a carpenter by trade, and I did check his work with a friend and he seems good especially as I can kinda hold my own when it comes to woodwork.

Correct I'm not in the trade - I wish I knew someone who had a wicks trade account. My guy doesn't have one as he's just starting out

The guy is actually a carpenter by trade, and I did check his work with a friend and he seems good especially as I can kinda hold my own when it comes to woodwork.

Correct I'm not in the trade - I wish I knew someone who had a wicks trade account. My guy doesn't have one as he's just starting out
Glad you've got confidence in your guy, got to be worth him looking into getting this wickes discount, not sure what they need in terms of proof but it sounds like he should be eligable

I use henshaw timber in Shipley west Yorkshire.

They mill their own timber from swedish pine and deliver nationwide.

They have treated and untreated decking a Nd joists.

Cheers James

Newbieraf have you tried Selco or Pennyhill Timber? im planning a few builds around the house/garden and they seem fairly priced, im near Farnborough so not too far from you. there a few timber mills around the area too that might even be able to provide what you need

Thank you @Stigmorgan. I have not but this Pennyplace looks good. I’ve been tried to find half decent/reasonably priced mills around me/us. Let me know if you know some.

Dare I saw I ended up going with Wicks at a tenner a length of 28mm I figured it’s pretty good plus if I need more its easy to grab

M
Too true, at least on B and Q, don't have much experience of wickes, the B and Q senior discount used to be on anything, but is now just gardening, as if you get to retirement age and then move into a tent. Ridiculous, especially as it only applies on wednesdays.

Not sure what other discount cards they run, but I assume it is similarly rubbish.

Re. Wickes, just did a quick search and it came up with a trade discount of 10%, but strictly trade, requiring trade ID. Is there another scheme I've missed, doesn't sound like NewbieRaf is in the trade.
y understanding is that they are given on the basis of filling in a form and when zZI did mine there was no Russian customs style inquiry. At the end of the day they want your business rather than sending you down the road. Wickes prices can be higher than Toolstation so the discount levels it out.

Thank you @Stigmorgan. I have not but this Pennyplace looks good. I’ve been tried to find half decent/reasonably priced mills around me/us. Let me know if you know some.

Dare I saw I ended up going with Wicks at a tenner a length of 28mm I figured it’s pretty good plus if I need more its easy to grab

I'm fairly sure there is one out near Birdworld somewhere, ive passed it a couple of times but always forget the name of it by the time i get to where im going, will def keep you updated if/when i get details.

Back