Rawlplug hollow wall plug issue

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleEars

Established Member
Reaction score
https://www.screwfix.com/p/rawlplug-hollow-wall-anchors-m6-x-52mm-20-pack/68410
Using these to hold a dog gate I built to the wall. Worked fine, then had a daughter. She's now two and a half, and has been hanging on the gate. The gate has come from the wall. I used multiple of these plugs and lots of no more nails!

Between the anchors, I seem to have two issues.

Some of the anchors are working, but require tightening more than the gate can allow.

Some of the anchors are biting at the right point, but a little pull and the bolt loses its grip and comes out.

I hope this makes sense.

Not really sure what to do to fix this.

Can anyone please advise?

MVIMG_20191227_135659.jpg

It seems a bit odd there isn’t a stud on the corner, but there must be one nearby. If you stick a long slim screwdriver or rod in can you find one on the adjacent wall? If so I’d be tempted to just try some long screws and attach directly to the stud, with spacers if necessary.

Before I dive in with what I THINK is the problem could you show us a photo of one of the failed fixings?

Remove and as above find the stud wall . Refix directly to the stud wall ( if possible) and fix with suitable fixings. However a small child hanging off or swinging from it will not last or end well .

Remove and as above find the stud wall .

Could you please direct me to any place in anything the OP has written that says it is a stud wall.

The construction of the wall is important to know to be able to diagnose the problem. It may be a stud wall; it may be dot and dab plasterboard on a block wall.

The gate post is at the extreme corner of the wall, which may be contributing to the problem if there is a lack of solid material in that area to fix to.

If that’s not a stud wall the plugs used can’t expand
Also if too close to a stud they can’t expand
454F0FA4-DBF8-4CAA-89DE-72E5ACD6F2E2.jpeg

Another factor would be the thickness of the piece being attached may mean the fixing isn’t deep enough to allow the lugs to expand out behind the board

If it was fully expanded I’d expect the the board to break before the plug came out

Certainly seems like the lugs aren’t expanding either as
-No void behind plasterboard e.g wrong wall type or hitting a stud
-Too close to a stud which blocks the lugs
-Overall thickness of gate post and board too high

The expansive friction will hold ok if you really crank them but that isn’t how they’re designed to work

It's like this. Can't find studs (if there were any) as the wall is full of metal strips.

Sorry, not sure what it's called.

PXL_20230504_073044642.jpg

Looks like an outside wall with possibly dot and dab.

Too close to the edge for most fixings except screwing directly into a stud wall.
Cheers, Andy

Perhaps you can move it towards the centre of the wall say 70mm to possibly pick up on any brick/blockwork?

Is the gate is designed to open into the gap under the worktop?

Are you positive this is hollow as I can see no paper from the plasterboard ?

Cheers, Andy

Last edited:
Could you please direct me to any place in anything the OP has written that says it is a stud wall.

The construction of the wall is important to know to be able to diagnose the problem. It may be a stud wall; it may be dot and dab plasterboard on a block wall.

The gate post is at the extreme corner of the wall, which may be contributing to the problem if there is a lack of solid material in that area to fix to.
Be it a stud wall or blockwork or dry lined brick wall my point is those hollow fixings are not designed to hold any considerable weight including a small child- hence finding the stud work or brickwork and fixing directly to that . No stud work or brickwork then that is what is reqd to get a solid fix . A stair gate to prevent a child ascending or worse descending a set of stairs should be capable of holding their weight as they will of course climb or hang from it so wall plugs and other such fixings are only as strong as the plasterboard itself .

Back