Rattle in the headstock of my CL3

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjmc1957

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All

Can anyone help? I've had the lathe for about 4 months now, used it most weekends, oiled it every time, this afternoon I was buffing up a bowl and I heard a knocking noise coming from the head stock, :evil: :evil: it increases as the speed increases so I'm guessing that its linked to the shaft some how, when I took off the access panel, which never fitted from the word go, the round flat washer with the square cut out had released it self from where it goes through the head stock casing, put that back on by hand as I have no idea what sort of tool I would need to tighten that up.

So, is there something I need to do? I can't believe that I've bowed the shaft with a bit of buffing!

Any help gratefully received before I take it back to the shop under warranty.

Regards

Kevin

Hi

First thing I'd do would be to slip the drive belt off the motor pulley, tuck it out of the way and turn on the lathe. This will tell you if the noise is coming from the motor, (you will still hear it), or the headstock spindle, (no clicking heard).

Also check the pulley allen screws are secure, pulleys are aligned.

If the headstock bearing has gone out of adjustment there are pretty comprehensive instructions as to how to adjust it in the Manual - do you have a copy? It is downloadable from the RP web site.

Regards Mick

Moment of clarity :shock: - Do you mean the nut had unwound from the bearing and you found it on the shaft? The nut is circular with four square cut outs around the outside. If so the bearing will need to be re-set, (re-adjusted). If you don't have the manual PM your EMail address to me I'll send you a copy.

Mick

I had exactly the same problem recently, I hand tightened the thin washer/nut back in the headstock and all seems to be working fine now.
Will be interested what you mean by having the bearing re set ?

thanks

john

Afternoon Kevin

What Mick says +1

While the belt is off,put a faceplate or chuck on the spindle and check it for sideways movement. The lathe should have come with a brass drift to use to tighten the front bearing.

Also, if the pulley (or pulleys) are loose or misaligned on their shafts, be aware that there are two allen socket grub screws holding each pulley assembly in place. The second screw acts a a locknut, so you will have to take it out completely before you tighten the lower one.

I think you have to register on the RP site to access their downloads.

Cheers

Dave

Edit. We're all talking at once :)

You do need to be logged in to download the manual from ...

http://www.recordpower.co.uk/support/pa ... peed-lathe

Hi Mick, John and Dave

Many thanks for the prompt reply

Mick, that's exactly what I meant, the nut with the four cut outs had loosened off, not quite onto the shaft but a good 4 mm for the cast housing. I put it on by hand but no idea how to tighten or how the brass drift is used, however I have the manual and I am registered to RP so I'll have a go at it.
Once again many thanks

Kevin

Back