Rasps

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ironballs":1ps8xmav said:
I take it back about the Dakota rasps, they're quite rough and left a worse surface than a surform, which is okay. What isn't okay is the rasp coming out of the handle and landing pointy side down on my freshly sanded guitar neck :x

The expletive was loud and heartfelt and rhymed with you trucking punt

I refuse to buy anything with the name Dakota on it.

Whilst not diminishing the skill and expertise of the few remaining French rasp makers it should be pointed out that rasps being touted from The Best Things (USA) as being made by ex-Auriou employees is not accurate. It is perfectly true that some of the stitching is done by an ex-Auriou employee. However it is also perfectly correct to highlight that the forging, heat treatment, grinding and all of the 30 other separate processes involved in making a quality hand stitched rasp are carried out a few hundred miles away by non ex - "Auriouites"
Auriou rasps are made in house at Forge de Saint Juery in France (visitors most welcome).
I feel it is best that you are correctly informed of the facts.

Thanks Mike

Interested in trying citric acid on some old files, does anybody know where would you get it from (other than squeezing lots of lemons I guess :shock: :lol: ) and what sort of concentration to use, how long to leave it soaking etc ?

Thks, Paul :D

paulm":1ljrne73 said:
Interested in trying citric acid on some old files, does anybody know where would you get it from (other than squeezing lots of lemons I guess :shock: :lol: ) and what sort of concentration to use, how long to leave it soaking etc ?

Thks, Paul :D

Homebrew suppliers sell it in bulk.

It is probably available at chemists, but they may get funny about it as it is one of the safer things used to cut drugs.

There's a good Alf thread about the process (for rust removal, but must amount to much the same thing) if you combine Alf and citric acid in a search.

Mike - thanks for the extra clarification re TBT rasps.

Paul - citric acid can be had from brewing suppliers and from soap making suppliers (ingredient of 'bath bombs')
Are you going to Mike's hand tool event? I've got heaps and could bring some along.
Steve

Hi Steve,

Yes, planning to be at West Dean, probably on the Saturday all being well, but might change to Sunday if the weather's dodgy.

Would be great if you were able to bring some along if you're going same day ?

If not, no worries, I'll just hunt down a brewing emporium somewhere :D

Cheers, Paul :D

Rob, I have a series of small indentations, thankfully it's on the back near the heel and will be having grain filler, paint and lacquer applied to it, so should largely disappear.

I was bloody annoyed though, but at least had the presence of mind to check the neighbours kids weren't out before unleashing my verbal torrent.

I do however have some lovely squared oak stickers that for some reason have some half lap joints cut into them. They weren't spared the bandsaw

Well they are out of stock of 'the hog' until October (metal stock issues according to Alex at CHT).
The rest should be on the way :) which is good as I need a change of materials from plasterboard to wood.. should be less dusty :)
Thanks for all the advice again and good luck for those cooking rasps with acid. Remember to wear protection (no, not that sort). I treat acid and molten lead with the utmost caution - a splash of either could be bad.
Take care - Ed

Thanks to Steve for bringing along a big bag of citric acid to West Dean a few weeks ago.

Must have looked like a drugs deal being done, looked just like those bags of dodgy stuff on CSI and the like :shock: :lol:

Used some a while back and left three old files soaking for about 48 hours then rinsed them well, gave them a good scrub with the file card and a soaking with WD40.

Would have left them soaking longer but swmbo was complaining about the smell and about them being in the way in the utility room :roll:

Well impressed with the results, given my old man's files a new lease of life.

What prompted me to remember to post was that I've just been in the workshop earlier today and thought I would turn up a couple of new handles to match some I made for some new files a while ago.

A simple job but quite satisfying, the first coat of danish oil is drying off, then I'll give another later or might just go straight to some wax and a buff, they are only file handles I suppose :roll: :lol:

Will post some pic's later in the day when done.

Thanks again Steve, and to the others for the advice and guidance also :wink:

Some pic's as promised, don't know why really, not very exciting :roll: Note to self, must get out more :lol:

The top two are new from Workshop Heaven, the bottom two are the refurbed oldies, all handles turned from some old sideboard legs :D

DSCN0094.jpg

DSCN0095.jpg

I reckon it was just your poor technique Paul :lol:

They are all nice and shiny again now, no fingerprints and shavings to spoil them :wink: :lol:

Good to hear it worked well, Paul.
Brushing off the gunk once in a while will speed the process some, and if need be, add some salt to pep up the mix (much less unpleasant way to get weak HCl than eating bad shellfish)
Cheers
Steve

Back