Rasps and files

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Austin Branson

Established Member
Reaction score
Greetings, Oh Sage Ones,
I’m going to have a go at a ‘sculpted’ rocking chair, with help from Charles Brock. He mentions using rasps and riffler files - neither of which are familiar to me. Can anyone recommend, or suggest what I should be looking for, please?
Regards
Austin

It all depends on your budget.

If you’re cheap, like me, then a set of rasps and files of various sizes and shapes by Draper, about 8 in a set, will set you back about £35. These are sold in most motor factors, hardware stores and the likes of B&Q. They will prove to be adequate and will get the job done. They will not excite you and they will feel cheap and will dull with use and may even snap.

If you want to treat yourself then hand stitched cabinet rasps from Aureo will be hard to beat, but they start somewhere around £70 per rasp. Aureo also make the rifflers that you referred to. They are basically a small, curved and pointed rasp for fine detail work.

I have, over the years, managed to find some really good files, like Nicholson, at reasonable cost by browsing car boot sales, second hand stores and online.

Good luck in your endeavors.

Corradi are also worth a look for western and iwasaki for modern japanese

otherwise pot lick on eBay as to whether old and good or old and knackered

Back