Which glue?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Austin Branson

Established Member
Reaction score
Greetings, oh sage ones.
I’m building a couple of rocking chairs, and the rockers themselves will be laminated strips.
In past times, I always used cascamite, as my old tutor told me that pva could ‘creep’. I have read several comments on this venerable forum, causing me to question continued use of cascamite. I would appreciate recommendations for this application.
Austin

Yes, I agree it's generally best to avoid creepy adhesives such as PVA or aliphatic resins for laminations. Having said that there are times when such creepy adhesives are okay for laminated work.

Generally I use either a urea formaldehyde (UF) adhesive or an epoxy resin for laminations, and there have been quite a number of complaints over the last few years about Polyvine's Cascamite failing in use. It seems that Polyvine may have recently addressed the issue(s) that caused the problems, but I haven't used any of their latest batches to confirm that one way or the other.

There are other brands of UF adhesive you might use such as this Aerolite One Shot which has been given good reviews by users, but I've not used it for quite a while, although I've always found it a good adhesive. At the page in the link in the last sentence there's a link to their 306 urea resorcinol adhesive that you might consider. Slainte.

Last edited:
Back