Rashes from wood turning!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joekid

Established Member
Reaction score
Ive got a dry flaky rash on my face, all i can think of is turning green wood, now and again i get a shower from spitting droplets,i cant think what wood it is from ive turned allsorts of logs, so cannot pinpoint the culprit , and my hands have got a bit spotty/rash like spots, ive not had time to go to the docs, just wondered if anyone has had similar, have a good un :-k

Thanks very much Bodrighy,i just wondered if it was possible , it seems its quite a common thing,HMMMMMMM! il try sudocrem if that doesnt work the quacks it is

joekid, have a look at the links at the top right.

I am violently allergic to Iroko, even have to carry emergency prescriptions in the fridge in case of contact, and several others cause me considerable aggrovation. The Sweet Chestnut I have turned today is causing enough of a reaction some 4hrs later that I need to take anti Histamines despite extensive dust control.

Well CHJ the severity of some of the cases, has really surprised me ive been turning constantly since getting my lathe, only about six weeks,but without a mask , ive only worn my glasses been getting splashed with fresh sap, juices out of the bark,and in a t shirt too,il have to stop turning green wood, for a while anyway,how does it affect you then fella (CHJ),must be pretty serious to have antidotes in the fridge!

I don't get rashes yet! but I do have to watch myself with Eucalyptus. I'm asthmatic and I know woodturning isn't the best hobby in the world for me but I always work with a mask and goggles.
If I ever happen to come across clove scented wood I have to steer clear but anything heavily scented I have to be cautious about.

joekid":3fr7owdp said:
but without a mask , i've only worn my glasses

You should at the very least be wearing a full face visor for protection!

I know turners who after years of working with various timbers suddenly develope alleges to them. In one case the turner had to give up working with wood completely, so it's good practice to be as well protected as possible.

thanks a lot lads ive just got the face visor , but will have to get the filter masks tommorow!!! allbeit a little late :tool:

joekid":2rrqjwul said:
anyway,how does it affect you then fella (CHJ),must be pretty serious to have antidotes in the fridge!

Nettle rash over 20 % of my body, eyes lids swollen shut, sinuses discharging at an alarming rate for starters in the most severe attack. Took two weeks for symptoms to clear enough for me to not notice them.

Now with careful wearing of regularly cleaned and filter serviced Trend Airshield when bandsawing, turning or sweeping up the shop, and Extraction of most lathe generated dust to to an Outside Collector and a 9" expelair dumping shop air whenever possible I get away with the occasional sinus irritation and the onset of a warning irritating rash, as long as I take anti histamines and leave off fine sanding for 24-48 hours (do green turning) or spend a day out walking or the like I'm Ok.

It is the silly things like emptying the shavings trap bin in the incinerator or shaking your dust coat without wearing a mask, and not having a shower immediately you have finished turning/sanding (to remove the dust from your hair etc.) that trip you up.

smDSC01867.JPG
This little joker gave me two sleepless nights and miserable days because I did not realise it was Iroko until it was to late.

Thats surprised me, my flecky skin,s clearing up,(rash is looking paler) but the severity of using some woods over time seem deadly,in some cases cause various cancers, well il be looking at filter masks and dust extraction soon,youve turned alot of wood too looking through your gallery,Have you always been aware of your condition or is it something thats crept up on you over time,

joekid":bfcwd4t9 said:
Have you always been aware of your condition or is it something thats crept up on you over time,

Looking back over the years it is obvious that I have been sensitive to certain woods for a long time, once in the 1960's when I had some Sapele machined in a wood yard to make new stair rails and banisters I had difficulty to reach home a distance of 8 miles because of nasal and face irritation, handling the wood though was ok afterwards so it must have been the dust in the mill. I was also laid down after spending an hour inspecting a timber framed and thatched farm house that had been stripped down to the lath and beams for re-plastering. Old household dust has caused a reaction from time to time when groveling under floor boards etc.

The extent of my reaction to woods/dust has only manifested itself after the incidence with a piece of Iroko just after I started turning.

Chas's testimony rings true. some people are more allergic / sensitive than others. So far in my life I have not found anything that irritates me and I can remember turning mahogany in school and just thinking it smelt nice (sort of spicy) At the end of the day we have to accept that we have a hobby that fills our lungs and bloodstream with potentially dangerous things. Anyone here turn hemlock? Woods like yew, where every part of the tree is poisonous are obvious but others, especially the exotics can be equally as dangerous.
My advice, common sense, not experience is to take all sensible precautions based on where and how you work the wood as well as any previous problems with any kind of dust, pollen etc. The safer you work, the longer you can keep turning!!

oldsoke":3tkmpmwh said:
You're a lucky bloke Pete :lol: :lol:

Luckier than I deserve. How many of you have a wife who has nagged him to get a Supanova chuck having already bought him a lathe for Christmas!!!

Pete \:D/

You could well find there's a lot of folks will identify with that... satnex2 doesn't nag though, she advises, on a non advisory basis :lol:

oldsoke":34dkxqk2 said:
satnex2 doesn't nag though,

Wrong forum Graham should that not be LOML :lol: We are into "Turning Wood" Not "Turning Circles and MPGs"

There's only one satnex2... acceptable nomenclature (as opposed to LOML/ 'er indoors/ wassername) as advised by ykw :p

Hello Joekid.
So far i have had no reactions to wood while turning,though i do know i have reactions to Mahogany,Cedar.These make my eyes and nose stream,make my lips sore and find it more difficult to breathe,even with masks on,had to keep stopping to clear eyes nose and to get breath back.
On the lathe i have 2, 4" dust pipes attached that takes most of the fine dust away.Mainly when sanding.
Joe start looking after yourself when working with wood or any other sort dust particles.
Paul.J.

Well Paul im taking the advice,while im still able to smell the daisies! i got the visor and dust mask, im raring to go, it shouldnt come as a surprise how different wood affects us in different ways, most things that grow have been used for remedies/ cures/ and poisons again since mans been able to fidget with it ,i dont suppose it wouldnt hurt to check out the wood before turning it ,thanks lads its opened my eyes,(no pun intended)

Latest posts

Back