Random orbital sander.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mickfb

Established Member
Reaction score
I am in the market for a decent random orbital sander. What advice can you lovely people give me or what do you use.
I have a Black and Decker one at the moment. Every time I use it I have to go to the dentist to have my fillings put back in! I am after a 150 mm dia one.

Mick

I have the metabo 150mm one. I don't have a lot to compare it to but looked at everything around that price when I was buying. I couldn't find a negative review of either that or the bosch. In the end I just couldn't find a reason to pay a bit more for the bosch.

What attracted me to both were that they were in budget and pros were giving them a hard life with positive feedback. I figured that a random orbital sander would be used on most projects that I do so was worth getting a decent one. I ruled out the festool and mirka ones on price- they were a lot more than I had to spend.

I'be been using a Mirka CEROS (125mm) for a couple of years now, and it's the dogs dangly bits. Can't even remember what dust looks like now :)

I've been using the Metabo SXE 450 Turbo Tec for a couple of years now and can't fault it. I would happily buy the same again.

I have both.

The Metabo is a great all round machine and will last.

However if you can stretch to it the Deros is fantastic. 4' and 5" pads, I bought the kit with the extractor (as all mine are 110v and the deros is 240v only at the mo), plus habd sanders etc. it's light, powerful, nearly totally dust free and works brilliantly with the Abranet pads.

The Metabo only gets used occasionally now. But if you can't stretch to a Deros you won't be disappointed with the Metabo

I''ve had a Dewalt D26410 for a few years now and it's never missed a beat, the backing pads do need replacing occasionally though and they're not cheap, so it might be worth bearing in mind the cost of those for the machine you choose to buy. I tried abranet discs but found they crumpled up to easily especially if you're sanding parts with sharp corners.

memzey":2ndw7x6f said:
Lons":2ndw7x6f said:
Mickfb":2ndw7x6f said:
Many thanks all for the suggestions. I have gone for the METABO SXE450.
Mick

You won't regret it but get a backing pad saver

Bob

What's that and where would I get one from?
Axminster sell them along with others who sell abranet.

Back