Random Orbit Sanders

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morfa

Established Member
Reaction score
Having a bit of a dither over a Random Orbital Sander. It's for light DIY and general woodworking. I'd like a reasonable quality tool, but I don't want to spend loads unless I have to. I already have a 1/4 sheet sander, detail sander and a multi-tool. The first two are a seriously cheap tools and are very uncomfortable to use. So I'm looking to buy something a bit nicer that isn't so horrible to use.

This Bosch looks like the badgers nadgers:

http://www.axminster.co.uk/bosch-bosch- ... rod850395/

But it isn't cheap and might be overkill? Would having the ability to switch between the two size discs be useful? Also are they as low vibration as claimed?

This also looks good - http://www.axminster.co.uk/makita-bo504 ... rod831037/ - it's also a lot cheaper and claims to be low vibration as well.

Finally I've been looking at a Metabo SXE 450.

Any other suggestions?

I have the Metabo. Really like it, but have nothing to compare it to. I bought a premium one because I could see it being used regularly, and hoped that it will last a good few years. I couldn't find a negative review of either it, or its bosch equivalent. I cant remember what swayed it in the end

You may want to sit down. If you spent £100 more than the bosch you could get a mirka with 200 abranet sanding discs, I ordered mine last week from http://www.restexpress.co.uk/acatal...act_Electric_Ramdom_Orbital_Sander_Kit_1.html arrived quickly and when you unpack it you realise you have a top quality tool. I haven't used it in anger yet, but did a test run and it's incredibly effective and very comfortable. I know it's £100 more but the thing that makes the difference is the 200 discs and I believe their abranet ones last ages as they don't get clogged up. not sure how much packs of discs are but by the time you add them on you must be getting close to that price. Once I've used it properly i'll be posting a proper review. they have another option of adding their dust extractor, but I bought a fein one separately as it worked out cheaper with more power.

nathan

Well to be honest, the Bosch is a bit steep really. So £300 is really out of my league. If I was a pro, I'm sure it'd be worth it, but I just don't do that many big jobs.

IMO the Makita will do everything you want. Have a look on eBay, you should be able to pick up a brand new one for under £80.

Metabo fo me as well. Does all I ask of it!

Bought originally for polishing solid surface kitchen worktops but I use it very regularly on wood as well and it's worth every penny.
Keep your eyes open on ebay for abranet disks which are the best available IMO. Especially the car detailers / refinishers who sell them cheaply. I bought 10 boxes in several grits at a fraction of the normal price. - Will last me a lifetime :lol:

Bob

+1 on the abranet. I got some metabo ones free with the machine, and only use them as a last resort. They are very poor in comparison to the abranet.

That's lots of recommendations for the Metabo. I'm torn now, had been planning on getting a Makita with lots of Abranet pads, but the Metabo can be had for £160.

I'm definitely going to get a box of the Abranet pads, as they do sound like they're good.

+1 for the Metabo

I bought one about 4 years ago at the recomendation of this board. It was more thant I wanted to spend but I havn't regretted it for a moment.

We fitted new oak skirtings ealier in the year and my wife sanded them all. ROS is definately her new best friend. So much so that when I look at new tools now she is encouraging me to go for the best as 'they are so much nicer to use'

James

When you order the Abranet get the interface pad - it will save your sander base Velcro
Matt

Yes it will protect the Velcro on the expensive sander base, mine has lots of extraction holes so it works with all hole patterns.
The downside to running an interface pad is softening the pad (I run the hardest pad grade to counter this) it means you can round over corners and get washboarding on woods with hard/soft alternating grain
Best to practice
Matt

morfa":11tug02j said:
Shrubby - you mean this - http://www.restexpress.co.uk/acatalog/M ... Pads_.html ??

I'm going to buy one of the big boxes of abranet pads you can get off ebay for about £30.

The Metabo has been ordered, £160 with 25 free pads and next day delivery.

I have a couple of interface pads and a base as well - didn't know you could get different grades of hardness. interesting :-k

If that's a box of 50, single grit 150mm abranet, it sounds expensive. You should be paying around £20 - 22 I got a load for half that as they were selling them off - 240, 400 and 600 grit so it's well worth keeping your eyes open.

Bob

The pad on your sander should be available in at least hard and soft grades for flat or curved surfaces. The interface is simply a layer of hook and a layer of loop bonded together - the huge amount of extraction holes give quite a soft feel with abranet
Matt

Lons":7ida2hzr said:
morfa":7ida2hzr said:
Shrubby - you mean this - http://www.restexpress.co.uk/acatalog/M ... Pads_.html ??

I'm going to buy one of the big boxes of abranet pads you can get off ebay for about £30.

The Metabo has been ordered, £160 with 25 free pads and next day delivery.

I have a couple of interface pads and a base as well - didn't know you could get different grades of hardness. interesting :-k

If that's a box of 50, single grit 150mm abranet, it sounds expensive. You should be paying around £20 - 22 I got a load for half that as they were selling them off - 240, 400 and 600 grit so it's well worth keeping your eyes open.

Bob

A mixed box of 50 150mm discs seems to be about £30-40. You can get boxes of 50 specific grits for about £22 or so tho. Small boxes of 10 for £6. I'll just go for a few boxes of 10 and see how I get on.

Well it turned up today. Bit of a beast really. Very smooth motor. Obviously a really quality tool. However I'm thinking it's a bit big for me, the 125mm might have been better and that it's just too nice and expensive for a DIY user, i.e. it'll cost me about £10 everytime I actually use it. Might send it back.

Latest posts

Back