Random Orbit Sander advice needed.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks again Marcos. I've just this minute ordered some Abranet discs and strips, interface pad, pad protector and a Mirca hand sanding block. I nearly fell off my chair when I saw the total price :shock: :wink:

My previous sanding experience meant a £1.50 pack of sandpaper, I never realized it could get so expensive :shock: I'm looking forward to getting the stuff on Monday morning though and getting stuck in to a few projects. I'm sure the cost will soon be forgotten in time :wink: :D

In case it's of any use to you, I bought the Abranet and other bits and pieces from http://www.southernfilters.com/. They seemed to have one of the best selections of stock around and the best prices.

Hi
I can't find the ebay seller I bought from but they were very cheap. What I do remember was that the car/auto refinishing suppliers were by far the cheapest source. They sell huge quantities of abranet disks and clearly have a great deal due to volume.

I bought 10 boxes total @ 240g, 320g, 400g and 600g so will probably outlast me :lol:

Bob

I shall remember that Bob, thanks for the tip. If you happen to know of any auto suppliers in particular that sell Abranet discs, could you let me know. Thanks.

JJ1":3tgymcpd said:
I shall remember that Bob, thanks for the tip. If you happen to know of any auto suppliers in particular that sell Abranet discs, could you let me know. Thanks.

I've been through my ebay records but it's too far back. Do a google for auto finishing or paint suppliers. Also some of them sell portacable polishers worth the search. Have a look especially for detailers.
i picked up the tip from the BMW forum but I think it was mentioned somewhere on here as well.

Bob

sandersguide":h5dm6gsr said:
Hello guys, just found this thread on google and went through it but all the recommendations are back from 2013...
What are the best random orbital sanders you would recommend nowadays?!

Depends on your budget, lots-of-money: Festool or Mirka Ceros/Deros. Affordable: Metabo Sxe450 is popular as it has variable orbit diameter, so can be used for stock removal or fine finishing. Personally I use the Bosch GEX 125-150, it gives me the choice of 5 or 6 inch pads, and has the lowest vibration in its class.

Just about to start a new thread, but this seems to have become active again so won't clog the system with excess topics.

Random orbit sander is next on my need to buy list, having only borrowed them in the past for taking paint off skirting boards and door frames.

The most I'm going to spend is for the Bosch PEX-400 as it comes with a case and my current Bosch 'Green' jigsaw and drill driver have all served me well so far.
http://www.axminster.co.uk/bosch-pex-40 ... der-501683

That is unless there's something stunningly good value for less money that I'm missing?

You pays your money and you makes your choice I suppose but FWIW I've had mixed experiences with Bosch stuff of late. I have a great SDS drill that's brilliant but I've used their mitre saw, cordless drills and one or two other items that have left me disappointed as regards build quality and usefulness of design. In terms of random orbit sanders I've got one of these and if it died I'd buy another without thinking about it:
https://www.ffx.co.uk/tools/product/Mak ... bit-Sander

I like it because you can aggressively remove stock or sand/buff to a fine level with the same machine, it's tough as old boots (needs to be in my gormless hands) and the dust extraction when hooked up to my shop vac is superb. Oh and it's also got a 6" pad which saves time when compared with the smaller variants. Not sure what more I'd need from a sander to be honest but you may have different priorities. It does cost a little bit more than the one you linked to but I think would be better value in the long run.

memzey":3dih4d0g said:
You pays your money and you makes your choice I suppose but FWIW I've had mixed experiences with Bosch stuff of late. I have a great SDS drill that's brilliant but I've used their mitre saw, cordless drills and one or two other items that have left me disappointed as regards build quality and usefulness of design. In terms of random orbit sanders I've got one of these and if it died I'd buy another without thinking about it:
https://www.ffx.co.uk/tools/product/Mak ... bit-Sander

I like it because you can aggressively remove stock or sand/buff to a fine level with the same machine, it's tough as old boots (needs to be in my gormless hands) and the dust extraction when hooked up to my shop vac is superb. Oh and it's also got a 6" pad which saves time when compared with the smaller variants. Not sure what more I'd need from a sander to be honest but you may have different priorities. It does cost a little bit more than the one you linked to but I think would be better value in the long run.

Thanks for this. I've got two beds worth of material to sand to finished standard to start with which is why I'm buying one now, but I will also end up using it for decorating once we start renovating our house. Maybe the extra expense is worth it given your recommendation.

I've just bought the Titan ROS from Screwfix for £46.00 (http://www.screwfix.eu/titan-ttb289sdr- ... -230v.html) and Im really happy with it. Its more powerful than the Dewalt and produces with a lovely finish. I've been making wooden shutters for my casement windows. The dust filtration system is excellent also. My only gripe is that it is a bit vibrational on full power, but for the money its excellent. Screwfix also give a 2 year guarantee.

Back