Random Orbit Sander advice needed.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJ1

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I've only just joined the site having just recently discovered woodworking, albeit on an extremely basic level so far, but I'm already hooked on the subject and very excited with the prospect of getting stuck in and starting a few projects.

My question relates to Random Orbit Sanders as I'm a little undecided on which model to go for.

I've literally spent hours and hours reading various threads, recommendations and reviews but I'm still not quite sure which route to take. From what I've learnt so far, it appears that the R.O.S. made by Mirka and Festool seem to appear the most popular. Unfortunately, both brands are beyond my budget. The next best option appears to be a model such as the Metabo SXE450 TurboTec. The best price I can find is around the £160 mark. This is still a little more than I really wanted to spend, but I could stretch to it if I had to.

What I'm undecided about is whether it's worth coughing up £160 for the Metabo, when I could spend just under £100 on models from Makita, Bosch and DeWault. I can see the benefit of having the dual orbits on the Metabo and I presume the 150mm size would have advantages over the cheaper 125mm models.

What would you do in my situation? Is the Metabo worth paying the extra cost (almost double) over the Bosch, Makita and DeWalt models in your opinion?

Also, is the 150mm size a good option for general use? I probably plan to use it for mainly small projects to start with, i.e. some box making, general DIY usage, i.e. shelves, perhaps preparing walls and woodwork for painting, a bit of furniture restoration on a fairly large 4.5 foot oak veneered desk.

Your thoughts and advice on the above would be a very big help and very much appreciated, thanks.

i bought the metabo a month or so before Christmas. It was a toss up between the bosch and that. The bosch must have been a different model because it was a little more than the metabo. i really like Bosch gear, but couldn't justify it over the Metabo. both models had faultless reviews.

I wouldnt hesitate to get the metabo again based on what i have done with it so far, but whether it would be worth more than any other ROS in a hobby situation, I dont know. It works well, feels nice and I got a chunk towards it with birthday money. A couple of comments that I will make is that

1. 150mm, i believe, is car auto shop sanding disc size, so they may be cheaper.
2. treat yourself to some abranet off eBay. brilliant stuff, cuts faster and the dust extraction works better. There is a mixed box available- see which grits you use most of. I got some metabo discs free with mine, and i have used an odd 1- the abranet is so much better.

Put another way, if you use an 100 quid model so much that you wear it out, you can look at the metabo when you come to replace it in some years. In reality it wont wear out any quicker. I would get the one that is in budget and get on with using it.

hth
mark

Thanks for your input Mark and it's encouraging to hear that you're happy with your Metabo. Thanks also for the tip about the Abranet discs. I've been reading about those recently whilst researching the various sanders.They will certainly be purchased to go with whatever R.O.S. I decide on.

I have had the metabo in the past and it was ok the orbit change thing broke on mine and it got stuck on the big orbit. I've got a bosch and in my opinion is as good as the metabo. The mirka and festool are a different class I've recently bought the mirka and prefer it to the festool but obviously these blow the budget. For small projects you may find the 125 mm size is fine and actually preferable if working on small parts and edges.

Cheers

Jon

I've had the Metabo for a couple of years now and can't fault it.

If you're doing a lot of disk changing it's worth paying a few quid for a sub base as the hook / loops wear out but i suspect true of all makes.

+1 for the abranet btw. I bought a load off ebay and they are excellent.

Bob

Cheers Jon. That was one of the models I was also considering.

I've had a Metabo for about 4 years and would recomend it without hesitation. Its a class tool with realy good control.

James

+1 for Metabo.

However, a budget's a budget so perhaps Mark's advice is sound.

Are all the sanders you've looked at the circular ones ? If you're relatively new to wood working perhaps just a normal orbital sander might be better :-? Im a bit biased as thats all ive ever used. Sandpapers easy and cheap to replace. If you went that route id definitely recommend the makita. I borrow my workmates bosch orbital now and again- its vibrates so much it nearly shakes my fillings out :-x

I bought a Dewalt 125mm one a couple of years ago which works well and has minimal vibrations. It was relatively cheap (well under £100) purchase that I have no regrets about and would buy another should the need arise.

Misterfish

I have the Bosch Jon linked to, it replaced a metabo which died after a good bit of use. I have used Festool ones and will be replacing the Bosch with one when it meets it's end.

JH

All the info given so far is a great help and I'm swaying towards the Metabo with the majority of positive reviews it gets.

Are all the sanders you've looked at the circular ones ? If you're relatively new to wood working perhaps just a normal orbital sander might be better

I've got a 1/4 sheet orbital sander and I've recently bought a detail sander, not expensive ones, but I'm very happy with them. However, I recently stumbled across a Black & Decker R.O.S. for next to nothing at a boot sale. I had never even heard of a R.O.S. before, let alone used one. I think the B & D is on it's last legs, but now that I've used one and read up about them, I can fully appreciate the benefits over the orbital sander I have and can certainly see the advantages of getting a decent R.O.S.

For those that own the 150mm size models, due you often find the larger size a handicap and wish for, or reach for a smaller 125mm model, or do you find it easy to use the 150mm size for most jobs, i.e. smaller cabinet, furniture making for instance?

i dont find the 150mm size a problem for things that i have used it on- mainly small boxes to be honest. 125 or 150 isnt going to fit into internal corners very well.

here is my original thread if it helps:

ros-t65869.html?hilit= sander

i couldnt find a negative review of the metabo, many people had it and used it pretty heavily and having used it myself, i cant give a negative review. but i havent used any others.

I couldn't resist the temptation any longer :) and have just placed an order for a Metabo SXE450 :D I just need to shop around for some Abranet discs now.

Has anyone used the Metabo discs, are they any good?

they are ok. but the abranet are far better. i have used the metabo ones where they are coarser than i have in the abranet pack. 80g abranet is probably just as good as 60g sandpoaper though, it does cut a bit faster than the equivalent grit. They last longer too IME

I am sure i will find a use for the metabo ones over time.

I bought the abra from here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mirka-Abranet ... 2ebc9a9ae4

there may be better prices out there now, but it was as good as i could find a couple of months ago. after a while i got bored of trying to shave a few more pence off!

Back