RandA Spindle thread

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So i've spent the last week making a back plate for the chuck and whilst it's not perfect it'll do for now.

During this process i became concerned about a spindle wobble that the lathe seamed to have and i've now narrowed this down to it's most pronounced area and it is the morse taper thats worst.

Even a drive centre protruding less than an inch has a visible wobble ( nearly 2mm measured against the tail stock.

Would using a reamer to clean the taper do anything useful?

Check the bore with a strong light and see if there is any debris stuck in the taper that is pushing the toe of the centre off line.

Check that the centre itself is not distorted.

If the tapered bore is mis-aligned in the headstock spindle I doubt any attention from a reamer will help, it will just follow the line of the existing taper.

You say you have struggled a bit with getting the backplate to run true, are you sure the main spindle itself is not distorted.

3/4Whit would be the same as a drummond roundbed faceplate, often found on ebay.
If you are making one, get someone to screwcut it tapping by hand is not very accurate and will leave a lot of facing to correct it.

You'll have to bear with me, as a novice i struggle with the degree of accuracy required but i am gratefull for your replies.

As suggested tapping by hand did result in a lot of facing to finish the first go but the second was massively better.

I've had a good look and can't see any debris or burrs etc, i gave it a clean anyway and set up a dial gauge.

I've measured the spindle at several points and have found the following

The rear runs out at 0.02
The register runs out at 0.06
The register face runs out at 0.02
And with the dial gauge as near 90 degrees as i can get it a measurment approx 4mm inside the taper it runs out at 0.34.

I can't see how it could be anything other than a bad spindle, any ideas?

Back