Ramblings on Sharpening and spalting

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken Furminger

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't know if this is the right way to do this but as there has been several threads on sharpening tools I went looking for an article I remembered in a Woodturning magazine and it turned out to be a December 1998 issue !! but I have found this link which shows part of the original article. http://www.tormek.us/en/leaflet/pdf/wet_or_dry_en.pdf
The magazine has 12 close up pictures and well worth a look if anyone can lay hands on it.
Also spalting as an improvment was suggested recently and as I don't agree I have tried to put some links here to photo's of figured beech, and some other general pictures while I was at it, hoping to show that beech figure is the better way to go when there is a choice.
One more thing before I get shot down for going on to long I have just set up my Apollo lathe with a Vicmarc 120 chuck etc and lashed out on a new JSP Power Cap, £165 from Protec which I think Blister noticed, and after a couple of days use I reckon its pretty good. It may not have the best filtration rating but as it's reasonably light and comfortable to use I am wearing it most of the time which makes it pretty efficient overall.
Which just leaves MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL on what I reckon is a pretty good forum.

Hi Ken

Nice photos of the work , love it all

Question ??

Are you the Ken Furminger , of VB36 fame ?

If you are you will know what I am on about !!

If not then you will wonder what I am on :shock:

Allen

:wink:

I went on one of his courses recently,
3 vb36's thay are a dream to work on.
only a lottery win away!

Some nice turnings their Ken :D
Does the flower vase have an insert,or are they dried flowers :?:
Can't see the article though :(
Paul.J.

Hi Paul
The flower vase is used with dried flowers, I have used clear two pack resin before on Beech etc but didn't think it would suit the Box.
I have re-done the link it really is a good article although the original is much longer with a lot more close up photos.
Happy new year to you and every one on the Forum.
Ken

Thanks for that Ken. :D
I think i read something similar some time back,which also converted me onto wet grind ststem,which is what i do all the time now for all my tools.
I made my own Tormek style grinder,which i seem o.k using :D
One day i might get a proper Tormek,but i'm happy using what i knocked up.
Paul.J.

Latest posts

Back