Raising money for club funds

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YewTube

Established Member
Reaction score
Making money for club funds.

I thought you might interested in an event, we are having next week, to raise money for club funds.

Every year the http://www.berkshirewoodturners.org.uk/ hold an auction. We ask members to riffle through their garages and workshops for unused tools, woodturning magazines, that 'wonder' tool that didn't work for them and any other unused workshop items. They bring them to the meeting and we auction them off.

In addition we have a member who has a Woodmister and kindly mills trees into blanks. The evening starts around a trailer in the car park where the blanks are auctioned. This year we will have laburnum, yew, mimosa and possibly beech.

To speed the auction of the wood we tried a Dutch Auction last year. The idea being that the auctioneer proposed a high offer bid. If no one responds the bid is reduced until there is a taker. The taker can now take his pick of any and as many pieces, at the offer price, as he wishes. Once he has finish, any others who responded now take their turn, in order. The offer bid is reduced and proceeds until the price gets silly.

Last year we made over £600.

More fun than an evening at bingo and a good chance of going home with a bargin that does not need a Wonga loan.

Attachments

• Trees2Timber Woodmiser.jpg
    Trees2Timber Woodmiser.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 627
Sounds interesting. At last somewhere that is less than a 4 hour round trip for me.

May pop along and have a look. I see it is on Wednesday 18th but what time does it start?

procell":f7b4mnyj said:
Sounds interesting. At last somewhere that is less than a 4 hour round trip for me.

May pop along and have a look. I see it is on Wednesday 18th but what time does it start?

Most welcome. Yes it is 18th, open at 7pm for 7:30pm kick off. Entry £2 to pay room rent.

If you have good stuff to sell we can do for 10% commission.

Bill

PS I hear that there may be some Olive Ash!

Back