Raised bed for chiminea

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Picalilli

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Looking for some ideas and advice on building a raised bed which I can stand a clay chiminea in. The chiminea is quite large (125cm x 50cm) and comes with a metal tripod style stand.
the problem I’ve got is that the back yard is just brick and also on a slight slope, so I’m wanting to have some kind of stable base to stand it in.
My first thought was to buy some sleepers and just build a square frame directly on the brick, then fill with sand and top with gravel, which I could then use to make a more level surface for the chiminea, but I’m wondering how stable/permanent this would end up being.

anyone got much experiencene building sleeper beds directly on to hard surfaces? Would I need to take the bricks out and build the sleeper base directly from the sand/ground below?
Or any other ideas on a solution to make it more stable? Or maybe I’m just over worrying it?
I’ve attached a photo of the yard space and a screenshot of the chiminea (which hasn’t actually arrived yet)

Attachments

• 5A6E4453-32FE-480F-B69F-60C65731EB55.jpeg
    5A6E4453-32FE-480F-B69F-60C65731EB55.jpeg
    149.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 68F8DA55-6277-412D-95B9-A6CBCF5B11E8.jpeg
    68F8DA55-6277-412D-95B9-A6CBCF5B11E8.jpeg
    97.2 KB · Views: 4
You could make the ground fit the chimnea .... Or you could make the chimnea fit the ground with a bit of leg bending.

You could make the ground fit the chimnea .... Or you could make the chimnea fit the ground with a bit of leg bending.

See what you mean, although I like the idea of it being a bit more sturdy and was thinking I could embed the legs in the sand a little. Main concern was whether I can just throw sand and gravel directly on to the brick...can’t see why not really. Just one of those things I end up thinking too much about and worry there’s something I’ve not considered ...there usually is!

How about a 3x3 fence post base 3'x3' one in the middle too, (3 posts)
Then a layer of cement board (12mm aqua board) and then terracotta tiles on top and sides or some 4x1" treated to create a lip.

Cheers James

Yeah I considered that - like building a level base ...but then I was quite drawn to idea of being able to bury the legs a bit. Think I am leaning towards fence posts whichever method I go with, sleepers are more expensive than I realised! Possible overkill too and it’s not a huge yard.

Just I’d read that you shouldn’t put sand/gravel over brick on a driveway, but I think that’s more to do with safety (movement of the gravel and sand on the hard surface causing people to slip)

I'd suggest lining your wooden structure (pond liner etc) so your sand doesn't wash away from underneath

I would leave the existing surface as is.
I would make a small 'foot' or more, for the metal feet to stand on so the steel stand is level.
I'd make the feet from bits of stone/slate/ceramic tile, just like you'd put a beermat or three under a pub table leg. I could even envisage casting a custom foot using some readymixed concrete in a plastic or wooden mold.

Today I finished shovelling about 3tonnes of stone (MOT1 topped with pea shingle) into a hexagonal raised base constructed with 2400x100x200 softwood sleepers.
The sleepers are laid on a shallow strip foundation made using postcrete I had left over From another job.

E87F983A-D14F-4AB0-885D-12B3A52BAF5C.jpeg

I'd suggest lining your wooden structure (pond liner etc) so your sand doesn't wash away from underneath
This is one concern I had - but then I’d have to allow for drainage?

Today I finished shovelling about 3tonnes of stone (MOT1 topped with pea shingle) into a hexagonal raised base constructed with 2400x100x200 softwood sleepers.
The sleepers are laid on a shallow strip foundation made using postcrete I had left over From another job.

View attachment 105878
that’s pretty much what I’m thinking of but on a smaller scale.

Or use the bags the pebbles come in!

Cheap I know what duyd you expect from a Yorkshireman!

Cheers James

Or use the bags the pebbles come in!

Cheap I know what duyd you expect from a Yorkshireman!

Cheers James
Ha, not a bad idea. Need to save money on it where i can. Probably end up spending more on this base than the chiminea cost in the first place. Fence posts cheaper than sleepers, but not much!

Slightly off-topic.

I had one of those. Left it out over winter, covered with a very expensive cover.

Went to pick it up to move it and it fell apart into a hundred pieces, I was left standing there with the chimney and a pile of dust.

Don't leave it out over winter is my advice.

Mick

Slightly off-topic.

I had one of those. Left it out over winter, covered with a very expensive cover.

Went to pick it up to move it and it fell apart into a hundred pieces, I was left standing there with the chimney and a pile of dust.

Don't leave it out over winter is my advice.

Mick
Thanks for the heads up! Yeah, I am a bit worried about it breaking. My uncle has had one for years and it did crack a bit at one point, still usable, but he just left his out all the time. Think I’ll keep it in the garage over the winter. Not that it’s much warmer in there mind! I’ve heard you have to season them by having a few small fires to begin with and letting them cool right down. I considered a metal one but they rust terribly and corrode over time I think

Beginning to sound complicated and expensive and you've probably not used it yet. Prop the downhill legs on something handy, use it a couple of times, sit round it, decide where you want it based on that experience then decide what, if anything, you will install.

I took out a previous owners bbq because it was built where it stopped me cleaning some windows and was precision placed so all the smoke and cooking smells went straight up into the main bedroom.

Once you put in your base, it's not easy to move if for instance the wind changes or you have visitors round and you need play space.

So try it first perhaps.

Beginning to sound complicated and expensive and you've probably not used it yet. Prop the downhill legs on something handy, use it a couple of times, sit round it, decide where you want it based on that experience then decide what, if anything, you will install.

I took out a previous owners bbq because it was built where it stopped me cleaning some windows and was precision placed so all the smoke and cooking smells went straight up into the main bedroom.

Once you put in your base, it's not easy to move if for instance the wind changes or you have visitors round and you need play space.

So try it first perhaps.
That’s probably sound advice. I am slightly worried about the smoke drifting through open windows - neighbours might not love me! Guess it’s not very different to have a BBQ though

Back