Oak raised planters

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TigersFan

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm just about to build some raised planters around our patio using oak sleepers. Before I get busy ordering materials, does anyone have any tips on building and also avoiding premature rot?

I'm just about to build some raised planters around our patio using oak sleepers. Before I get busy ordering materials, does anyone have any tips on building and also avoiding premature rot?
I used oak for community projects. Luxury oak company seems to be cheapest.

Not far from you.

No, they’ll be new oak ones.
As you say, actual sleepers are pretty much bomb proof but are too rustic for what we want.

No, they’ll be new oak ones.
As you say, actual sleepers are pretty much bomb proof but are too rustic for what we want.
New oak sleepers ( dimensions ? ) sounds very spendy..unless you fell the trees yourself as I do , going to be outside cutting trunks shorter as soon as I've finished this here sandwich break, if it doesn't begin raining ..again..

New oak sleepers ( dimensions ? ) sounds very spendy..unless you fell the trees yourself as I do , going to be outside cutting trunks shorter as soon as I've finished this here sandwich break, if it doesn't begin raining ..again..
200 x 100mm x 2.4m. Yes, plenty of ££££. Unfortunately, I haven’t got any available to cut down!

That's not that big, more of a "small short joist" than a sleeper..IIWY..I'd try asking if they ( either the people Jameshow mentioned ) or anywhere that sells oak ( even sawmills ) if they have any seconds, ( ones with splits, not quite straight etc ) unless that would be too "rustic" , you need them PSE or rough ? Get a better price that way, maybe, depends also on how many you need.

Does it have to be oak ? chestnut would be cheaper, easier to get in those sizes ( sawmill ) and lasts very well outside.

I built mine with decking boards, the base slopes slightly down at the front and there is a hidden gravel filled 'slot' so excess water drains well. Lined with roofing felt stapled on. 5 years and still fine. We had an old garden table with a rotten twisted top, so the table frame became the base of the planter and I can store some of my logs underneath.

IMG_20230630_165137.jpg

It is primarily functional not decorative. Strikes me that building one out of oak would cost lots more than buying salad from Waitrose for the next 20 years. Just taken the first crop spinich out and planted seeds for various salad leaves for later in the summer.

Here "traverses" ( french name for them ) untreated general public price
https://www.beiser-se.com/traverses-de-chemin-de-fer-palette-de-24-pieces.htmlWhich by my rough calculations and allowing for exchange rates means they'd be about £7 each more expensive here.
but in 2000 size from Vente de traverses de chemin de fer en chêne naturel - Jardin de traverses
They'd be about £20.00 each in a pack of 32

"Trade" up ( treated ex-railway ) here where I am is about £15.00 each for a lorry load of 320.
"Trade" ( treated ex-railway ) in the South of France is about £12.00 each pallet of around 30*
Sizes of sleepers vary in France, both in length, width and depth.
"Trade" ( treated ex-railway ) in the east of France ( where SNCF have massive "breaking yards" ) around £8-10 each per lorry load..less for cash ;)

Last edited:
The raised beds I built 25yrs ago from 'proper' sleepers are still fine. The ones I made from green oak 20yrs ago have rotted badly. I didn't line either with polythene.

Back