Radial arm saw capable of cutting 150mm x 150mm

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Linwoodjoinery

Established Member
Reaction score
I’m toying with the idea of getting a radial arm saw that will cut 6” x 6”. The only problem being it needs to be 240v not 3 phase. I also don’t want to spend a fortune. Is anyone aware of any that exist?
thanks in advance

Bear in mind that timber of that dimension is seriously heavy to move around on your own once it gets beyond about 2 metres long. If you can manoeuvre such wood within your workshop, then why no use the bandsaw?

(I use 6", 7" and 8" oak timbers for framing projects and I always take the tools to the wood because of the wood weight).

To get a cut depth of 150mm you will need a blade size around 450-500mm diameter. I very much doubt that you will find a 240v tool with anything more than a 300mm blade, giving you maybe 90mm depth. So you will be turning the work to get right through, if you have enough clearance.

This needs an industrial tool.

Wadkin BRA 450 will just about do your 150 mm depth of cut.

Then there is one offered by Scott & Sargeant with a 200 mm+ depth of cut.

I'm not sure either come in single phase. I guess you'd need to ask the supplier about that. I can't imagine these machines are at the budget end for price, but that may not be a significant factor for you. Slainte.

I do as a rule too but I’m thinking of rollers and a reasonable size table to cut these to length. I currently use a handheld circular saw which does the job (granted I have to flip over) but I’d love to be able to just cut these to length using a cross cut/radial arm saw

Wadkin BRA 450 will just about do your 150 mm depth of cut.

Then there is one offered by Scott & Sargeant with a 200 mm+ depth of cut.

I'm not sure either come in single phase. I guess you'd need to ask the supplier about that. I can't imagine these machines are at the budget end for price, but that may not be a significant factor for you. Slainte.
Budget is certainly a factor. I’m thinking hundreds rather than thousands and happy with an old second hand machine

Bear in mind that timber of that dimension is seriously heavy to move around on your own once it gets beyond about 2 metres long. If you can manoeuvre such wood within your workshop, then why no use the bandsaw?

(I use 6", 7" and 8" oak timbers for framing projects and I always take the tools to the wood because of the wood weight).

To get a cut depth of 150mm you will need a blade size around 450-500mm diameter. I very much doubt that you will find a 240v tool with anything more than a 300mm blade, giving you maybe 90mm depth. So you will be turning the work to get right through, if you have enough clearance.

This needs an industrial tool.
Sorry I missed the bandsaw bit. I don’t have a bandsaw and my workshop is not big enough to fit one in that would be big enough to tackle 6”x6”

Bandsaw footprint is smaller than a RAS that will handle 150mm depth of cut. Even a smallish BS will do 6". If you don't have room for the bandsaw, how do you plan to handle the timber?

Band saw takes up more room than a RAS for me as a RAS can go along a wall. Chainsaw cuts are not an option. Handling the timber is not a big issue. Slide in and cut

It only takes a couple of minutes with a handsaw, obviously it depends how many you’re doing but it’s guaranteed to keep you fit. Ian

You will not get a 240v radial arm saw that can cut that depth and if you could it would not be cheap

Static inverters are cheap and will run a RAS no problem, its plug and play if you're worried about 3 phase. You'll struggle to find a single phase RAS that big. I dont even bother buying RAS's these days as its so hard to make any money from them. No idea who buys them at dealer prices!

I’m toying with the idea of getting a radial arm saw that will cut 6” x 6”. The only problem being it needs to be 240v not 3 phase. I also don’t want to spend a fortune. Is anyone aware of any that exist?
thanks in advance
To cut that depth will need 3 phase or a phase converter.… sadly the machine is over 10k with the laser and digital readout .
Paul

A single phase alternative might be an articulated bandsaw like this tho, (depending on your application)

Another option would be a hand held circular saw, available in 240v, takes up very little space compared to a machine plus you can take the machine to the timber which when working large timbers can be very advantageous.
The Mafell MKS 165 would do your 150mm posts or there’s its bigger brother the 185. Unfortunately they are more than a few hundred pounds but anything that’ll make that cut is going to be though on the bright side being Mafell they hold their value.

Latest posts

Back