Quick question, so I can get on with the job.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe1975

Established Member
Reaction score
I am about to glue down some EPDM on a sheet roof. It has got this white chalky/metallic powder all over it (both sides). Just wondering if it will prevent the adhesive from working?

Must clean it off, it's there to stop the membrane sticking to itself when folded or rolled.

Really, that’s a big job, and a very awkward one too. It’s on the roof ‘resting/settling’ before gluing down.

I’ve done a bigger EPDM roof before and I done remember having this issue.
Would it just wipe off with a wet cloth do you think?

Thank you both for your help

I would hose it down and leave to dry in the sun if you can. If I had to guess I would say it won't affect anything as I've never heard of a cleaning process pre EPDM, and like you say it's pretty inconvenient.

None of you remember fixing punctions on your bikes, clean area and apply patch then chalk to prevent it sticking to anything. Same with the roof liner, chalk dust makes it easy to unroll but clean off before glueing, would you paint over dust !

Thank you everyone, I did clean most of it off with water and a wet towel. Seems to have stuck down fine. Phew.

None of you remember fixing punctions on your bikes, clean area and apply patch then chalk to prevent it sticking to anything. Same with the roof liner, chalk dust makes it easy to unroll but clean off before glueing, would you paint over dust !
Of course I remember it! Fixed a puncture about 6 weeks ago.

Hi,

Bit late now but i have just fitted an EPDM roof to my workshop. According to Rubber 4 Roofs where I purchased it the talc is just to make the installation easier and doesn't have to be removed prior to bonding. Mine is stuck down really well and i didn't remove it.

Jon.

Back