Quick question about roof pitch for workshop....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam

Established Member
Reaction score
What is a "normal" pitch to put on a roof? Any advantages to them being steeper/shallower?

Currently, I've got mine set to 30 degrees like below

75390202.jpg

I was planning to make "A" frames, basically as shown. Any comments?

Adam

Sorry, so the A frames I was going to make from 2" x 3" (as I've got loads). Covered with OSB sheets, and then felted (and under felted), using this self adhesive backed stuff.

Adam

See Below

http://www.ruberoid.co.uk/index.php?page=49

Coldseal Self-Adhesive Roofing

Self Adhesive

Coldseal self-adhesive roofing felts are composed of polyester bases, saturated and coated with SBS modified bitumen. The reverse side is treated with a self-adhesive coating and surfaced with a removable release sheet. Applied as a two-layer system (underlay and cap sheet), both layers are bonded by the removal of the release sheet on the back. Coldseal self-adhesive roofing membranes are high performance products, ideally suited for use on domestic garages and extensions. The self-adhesive application, combined with the Quicktrim range of pre-formed edge details available, make them safer and easier to install, providing long lasting, cost effective, guaranteed performance.

No need to apologise - it's just the usual determinant of pitch. Slate and tiles need pitches of 30 degrees or so (big slates can go down to the 20s, with more overlap, and some of the concrete tiles can get down to about 17.5).

The stuff you are going to use is happy at very low pitches indeed, so it depends on aesthetics really, and how much you need the extra headroom inside that a shallower slope will give you.

Adam

30 degrees was the pitch I choose simply to make my A frames easy to make if I get a chance I'll take some photos today. I slated mine with secondhand slates. My mtre saw just indexex nicely at those angles.

Cheers Alan

Hmmm, interesting roof, but more importantly whats in the cabinets that are leaning casually against the (outside) wall? Not trying to sneak in a Drive-By are you?

Adam,

When I built my workshop roof trusses, I set the height of each horizontal brace above the floor level such that I could swing a sheet of 8x4 corner to corner ie about 9 feet.

You might want to consider something similar?

Bob

Back