quick homemade MFT

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LyNx

Established Member
Reaction score
May help for the festool, or any guide rail system (even softwood and mdf homemade set-ups). Only for 90deg cuts at the moment but i can see a problem with adding spacers for common angles.

Picture-1985.jpg

Picture-1986.jpg

Picture-1987.jpg

Picture-1988.jpg

Picture-1989.jpg

Picture-1990.jpg

Picture-1991.jpg

Picture-1992.jpg

Picture-1993.jpg

I screwed the fence onto the front edge of the mdf worktop. I will use inserts and machine screws to a can remove when not needed. I then fit the front support. It has been marked on the mdf edge so it aligns to the back support and all square to the fence. the back support is fixed all the time as it does get in the way.

I then slide the guide rail onto inserts that fit the rear groove of the track, once located i tighten the knobs. This locks the guide rail onto the supports.

I rest the guide rail again the pipe at the back but it does support on the locking knobs. This gives me a gap underneath to slide the panels in and out. Once you fold down the guide rail, it's all locked and ready to go. Place your saw on the rail and cut away. Job done.

As long as your supports are set to 90deg to the fence then your laughing. The only play i have in this set-up is from the hinges themselves. I plan on adding vertical movement to both hinged supports so you can cut various thicknesses of sheet.

Hope this may help a few of you. Only set it up early saturday morning to help cut some shelves. :wink:

Hi Andy

Very, very good idea.
Although I don't have the Festool system (too expensive for amateur), I can see that I can use your idea with a normal guide rail, instead of hinges, I'll use just stops set for 90*.

One of those EZs may patent it before you know.

Thank you so much for sharing and taking the time to picture and post it.

niki

Niki, i did think about just using stops but you have to keep checking that the guide rail is tight against it. Using the hinges, you don't have to worry, just rotate down, cut and lift up.

Andy
It's not that I cannot use the hinges, but I shall have to make sure that the guide is seating flat on the board otherwise the cut will not be 90 vertically.

For me, the stops are enough and 2 Quick-grip clamps will ensure the lock down, it takes more time of course but I'm not using it so often (and I have a lot of time).

Colin C
I'm happy for you that you are happy user of the EZ, but as I said, I don't use the guide so often and I'm happy owner of EB PK255 :)

niki

Colin C":2h9zcis8 said:
Hi LyNx

Its a good idea for repeat cut :)

Niki
The EZ does not need this as you can buy repeater arms that fix to the rail so you just measure once and cut away :wink: ( Happy owner of the EZ and the repeater arms :) )
http://eurekazone.com/gallery/the-repeaters-in-action

The link shows the repeaters being used for cutting strips, how are they for cutting pieces (for instance)300- 600mm wide? Or is there a different add-on for this. If there is and it works I will buy an EZ system and use my Festol saws on it

John

Hi John
The repeater arms will cut 26" ( about 760mm ), so guest you will be getting the EZ :wink:
PM pewe about it as I think he might be starting to import it :)

John, why can't you attach something to the back groove in the rail to form some sort of repeater.

Niki":3odvas8e said:
One of those EZs may patent it before you know.

niki

Nikki.
The ez system is a rail based system.
I thought you knew that.

Andy.
Good idea.

Hi ez dino

Please note that I said "one of THOSE EZ's",
You are not the only EZ in the world, (Google EZ).

By saying that, I was praising LyNx for his very, very good idea and not accusing you or any other ez.

No one of the EZ's can steal my "inventions" (I call them fixtures), they are so simple to make that they will not sell.

About me being unhappy, that's a nice conclusion considering that you don't know me at all.

So, let me tell you about myself; I'm not working and don't have to work for the rest of my life (and I'm NOT living from social security monthly payment), I'm gettig up at the morning and deciding what I want to do today, play tennis, shopping, visiting, some DIY or just pleasant woodworking or maybe, making some jig, taking pictures and post it to the mates in the forum for free of charge.

I don't have to get up at the morning and think how much I'm going to sell today or worry about my income.

I'm not in a harry or under pressure to supply my products on time or to get more customers, because the customer is me, and I work as much as I want, when I want and if I want.

I think (actually I'm sure) that many people would like to change their "happy" life with my "miserable" life stile.

But, I think that maybe the unhappy person is you otherwise, I cannot explain the fact that you are so aggressively advertising your products on EVERY woodworking forum that I know and even challenging Festool for a "dual" (remember that post?).

I don't know of any other manufacturer that advertises his product in such a methods that are maybe good for the USA but don't work in Europe or Australia and from reading many of the posts, even not for many Americans.

Regards
niki

Back