Quick electrical question....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boatfixer

Established Member
Reaction score
We have just obtained a dual fuel cooker which needs a cooker point wiring in to the kitchen (the previous cooker was gas). My tame electrician wants to put the switch beside the cooker on our tiled splashback which would mean chasing out and re-tiling. I think it would be easier to put the switch in our pantry beside the CU which is beside where the cooker will be going. Is thee any reason that the switch has to be directly beside the cooker or is he just making more work for me......

I have just been looking at BS7671 on this question and can see no reason for having a remote switch for your cooker as long as the switch is clearly label'd and accessible for maintenance, testing and operating etc... .

I can see no distance rules at all.

What is the power rating of your cooker out of interest?

Steve

I have always worked on the principal (and thought it was in 16th and 17th edition regs, but don't have a copy to verify!) that any appliance switch should be within 1 metre of the appliance, ie arm's length, for safety. Hence the saying 'local isolator'.

Your electrician should know, as it's his a*se on the line if he does any work which is against regs!

Thanks folks - it was just a thought but it would appear from Rogers link that whilst not banned it is not recommended, even though it would be within 2 metres of the cooker. I must admit I'm not sure why a switch is needed as with the electric ignition for the gas hob and the electronic clock it will never be turned off unless it needs servicing in which case I would isolate it at the CU where it will be on its own breaker. Still better safe than sorry.

Steve - With both ovens and the electric grill on we will be looking at 7.56 Kw. :shock:

This is one of those little jobs that is suffering from mission creep...... We started off looking for a direct replacement for our 600 wide gas cooker which would have just slotted into the hole. We now have a 1000 wide dual fuel cooker which needs cupboards removing, gas point moving, worktops cutting down, electrics installing. cooker hood moving and now from the look of it splashback re-tiling where the electrics are going. All because she found a "bargain". (Oh, and the bargain was a bargain because it needed some new glass.... Which turned into four new doors, a new top panel for the hob and a new burner assembly (hammer) )

This is one of those little jobs that is suffering from mission creep

Must talk to the wife about that! I'm in the middle of one as well.
Regs and common sense don't always agree, if the need ever arose for a quick cut off I personally would not be keen on having to lean over something that was hot to reach the switch, especially if there was a hob involved.

Roy.

Back