Questions for French members

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick W

Established Member
Reaction score
As it looks like I am going to be living in the South of France soon, I was wondering what the tools and materials supply situation is like out there.

Who are the equivalents of Axminster, Tilgear, D&M, Screwfix, CSM Just Abrasives, Jenkins, Isaac Lord etc etc etc?

What is the timber supply siutation like? I get the impression that local timber is easier to get than here, but that maple, cherry and the like from the States is harder to lay your hands on.

Also as a wannabe model engineer are there many places selling materials, machinery, and tooling for this?

TIA

Nick,
I'm not in France - yet, but did research a few web based suppliers a few months back it appeared then that the hand tools I was interested in could be bought cheaper in the UK so I never actually ordered. I also spent many many hours trying to source K-body clamps in France without sucess.

Anyway here are a few suppliers -
http://www.legallais.com/#
http://www.bordet.fr/pages/index.php
This one has outlets in the South:-
http://www.hmdiffusion.com/

I know Normandy is a long way from the south of France but there is a well recommended (not sure if it was ukw or another forum) timber supplier in Rouen. I might have the url at work I'll check tomorrow.

Does this mean you will be taking you kit with you rather then sell it all off?

Andy

Andy,

Yes I'm planning to take my kit. I won't have as much time for the cabinetmaking - we are after all going in order to expand the wife's business, and I will be working on that all summer and a lot in the winter. But I will try to keep my hand in during the winter, and will have lots of maintenance projects to keep me going too. You never know, I might just get to make stuff on spec, and for the fun of it!

Can't help much on the woodworking side of thinks but on the ME front there are a few ex pat members on one of the Traction Engine sites in france/spain and they seem to order from the UK - Reeves/Chronos etc.

What are you making engineering wise, I've just about finished a Minnie Traction engine and will be starting a Wyvern hit & miss engine next.

Jason

I'm working on a Stuart D10 - but it has been a long time coming. Too busy trying to set up my business for the last thee years. :oops:

Nick

When you see the prices you won't be buying much from HM Diffusion! I've found it easier/cheaper to stick with UK Suppliers for tools. Axminster, Tilgear, Classic Hand Tools all deliver to France no probs and the shipping still makes it cheaper than French suppliers in most cases. D&M unfortunately don't although I saw a post recently where someone reckoned they had done some kind of deal with them so they would ship to him in France. Didn't elaborate though!

I've had timber from Roubois (mainly iroko) and good quality. Prices are on the site. Shipping ain't cheap! I'd recommend researching your local sawmills. They have loads of them in France compared to the UK. Some only do soft woods, some both but the hardwoods are obviously local (oak, ash etc). I reckon you'd need to use the likes of Roubois for American and African timbers. I'm still trying (with no luck) to find a supply of American Black Walnut in France!

Back