Questions about workshops

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi there Im fairly new to here and Im looking for some information,
I live in Scotland in a mid terraced and was going to build a workshop in my garden, from the house to end of garden its around 12m and 7-8m wide. Whats the situation with planning permission and noise for the neighbours? It will be well insulated and have double glazing so not much noise will be heard but you know what neighbours can be like. Also it wont be a concrete base so do i need planning permision,
Thanks

Neil

tiler99":2uqovtge said:
http://www.diydata.com/planning/planregperm/planning_rules.htm#shed

May help you out

But is this a domestic shed or a commercial workshop? From your web site I guess it might be the latter, in which case you might need permission. There's nothing to be lost by talking to your local authority.

You should check with the LA what constitutes nuisance from noise. Remember noise all day when the neighbours are out at work is going to be less problematical than working late nights and at weekends.

Its only a domestic shed for weekends to mess about in making things and keeping out of the wifes way. il check the LA anyway cheers

greetings customdecks
welcome to the forum
im sure ive seen your work before , somewhere :-k
:-k
have you advertised on ebay , at some point or another
regards
mel

Lomond, you should be able to avoid planning permission control if you follow these guidelines:

Not within 5 metres of the dwelling:

- The garage must be used for domestic purposes only

- No part of the garage should be nearer to any road than the part of the original house nearest to the road

- The height of the garage must not be more than 4 metres high if it has a ridged roof, or 3 metres in any other case.

- The ground area covered by the garage and any other buildings within the boundary of the property (excluding the original house) must not be more than half the total area.

All single storey detached garages with a floor area not more the 30 square metres are exempted for the Building Regulations. Garages with a floor area greater than 30 square metres or garages more than 1 storey require Building Control approval.

Also, the garage/workshop/shed must not exceed an internal capacity of 50 cubic meters.

As for noise, aslong as you don't make constant noise throughout the evening, you should be ok. Aslong as it's insulated and double-glazed most neighbors won't even hear you.

If you havn't already done so, have a look at the many workshop build threads on this forum, my particular situation is similar to yours: mid-terrance, relatively narrow garden. My workshop/garage/shed whichever you want to call is 18x10x8 (LxWxH)

Hope that helps.

Good points, BB, but I was wondering whether Scottish Planning was different to English? Do local authorities have more/less power than we do South of the border?

Latest posts

Back