question, probably for Terry Smart....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marky

Established Member
Reaction score
Help needed in getting a dark chestnut or rich oak, something like that onto white oak...

What would be the best stain / dye to use....

Marky

Marky":1fdrdrr5 said:
Help needed in getting a dark chestnut or rich oak

Any chance of posting something the colour you are aiming for, them may be able to suggest something.

Is thsi oak fruit the sort of colour you are after or something lighter, BTW they are stood on a white oak shelf.

oakfruit.jpg

Jason

Jason... Yes that looks about right, The customer is looking for that old world dusty corner shop bookcase look.

Thats her description.

However this is for a 8m run of bookcases, the interiors are birch ply but the whole lot will have doors hiding the interior because it is for a DVD collection. Thats the doors, cornice and plinths that she wants dark and warm.

I think it may be a bit much (bit dark) but any suggestions would be appreciated.

Marky

Marky

The stain was Coloron "American Walnut" Another option would be to use Vandyke Crystals, you can mix the solution up to whatever strength you need. I would do a sample board with a few different stains then get her to decide which she likes.

Chris

I must confess I didn't do it, I only made the storks but gave my father a lot of technical and artistic help with the fruit. It's all from an 8"x8" bit of oak I took out of a clients kitchen, the big pair is approx 7" tall, the other fruit normal size. Oak was sanded to 320g silicon carbide. Finish was two heavy coats of stain followed by two of Chestnut's acrylic sanding sealer (spirit stain so not cellulose) de-nibbed with 0000 wire wool then Myland's friction polish.

Jason

Back