Question for those who make an income from woodwork

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rich.h

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok so I will start out by illustrating that this is simply an idea in my head for perhaps 6-12 months time rather than right now. So i've begun to get the various tools I need for the work (hobby) I want to be doing, and also peered over the edge of that slippy slope that is "quality tools" with the appropriate whistles and cost etc. Now I doubt I will ever be using a dovetail saw enough to warrent spending £2)) and upwards as can easily be done, but something perhaps in the £100 range that I can look after and get a lifetimes worth of enjoyment out of is appealing.

By the time I factor in chisels, planes, shaves etc etc I find myself quickly looking at hiding the credit card statement from the gf for fear of finding the brake cables cut. 8)

So this got me thinking that unless I wish to devote all of my spare income to my hobby then I need an extra source of cash to support it. Thus I looked at perhaps making a few things for sale so my hobby can support itself. I've no intention nor deluded ambitions that I will suddenly churn out bespoke workmanship capable of commanding 1000's. But there is an abundance of cheap rubbish that can be had in any of the major high street retail stores. I already have a heafty table saw along with a resonable bandsaw, so have the ability to purchase large aounts of sawn timber to rip down (thus keeping costs small).

Things I considered were small tables, perhaps stools, dog kennels etc etc. Simple enough items that can be produced from reasonable solid timber using correct joints, marketing them as long lasting strong items on a few places such as fleabay, gumtree etc and sticking them in at prices to match the flatpack stuff. This would mean now and again I could expunge an a shiny new saw or plane without having to hide from the bank manager.

So finally getting to the point, those of you who either make a full living or side income from your woodwork. Is there much market for these kind of low end items? Do folk actually want to buy quality products of this price range or do they just head off to ikea once every 6 months to replace the last table that fell apart, got eaten by the dog etc? Also has anyone sold their products on private classified websites such as I mentioned or does it just come across as a con man to the buyers who want a proper website/brick & mortar shop?

Hmmm, that's a difficult one. I'd say it's all in the marketing. Es decir, some people will be able to make money out of those things, and others won't, depending on how they work the selling angle.

sorry about the Spanish allusions, we just got back from the bar.......

Things I considered were small tables, perhaps stools, dog kennels etc etc.

Look at how much you can buy these things for from regular retailers and then work out what the materials would cost for you to make said item. In many instances, the materials cost more than the ready made items. Therefore unless you can add a bespoke / personalised element in to the equation you don't have a hope. To give and example, last week I had to repair some kitchen drawers for a customer. Worked out cheaper to buy a complete 4 drawer unit from howdens, chuck away the carcase and drawer fronts and just use the new drawers and runners as it would have cost a lot more for me to buy in 4 sets of runners and make up 4 drawer boxes.

I have been asked a few times to quote for things like chicken coops and rabbet hutches etc. Never once got the order as the materials always come to around the price or more than one similar and new. The only way to make this pay is by sourcing free timber. Maybe pallet wood etc but there hard work to become usable.

Small tables, Small TV units, garden benches done in a chunky design can fetch a few quid and be cheap to make. I have seen loads in my local area on eBay selling this type of thing and there selling well. Even more so fire surrounds.

I try and make my woodworking pay for itself...I don't always succeed but I try!

I'd make three points.

1. I don't think you'll ever get even close by offering low-end stuff.

2. The more "customisation" there is in your work the higher the price...and the less the competition. For an averagely skilled woodworker that means making things that fit into a specific space. Garden gates of odd dimensions, doors to fit old houses, hall tables that need to be exceptionally thin, desks that drop into a specific bay window etc. These are some of the projects that have gone a long way to paying for my kit.

3. It's not strictly woodworking but by a country mile the most profitable part of my workshop activities is picture framing. Here's an area where I can undercut the high street framers and still get a decent margin. In fact if I needed to put food on the table through woodwork I'd either do fitted kitchens/bedrooms or I'd become a full time "garage framer" as they're known.

What I absolutely wouldn't do is make dog kennels, pine bedside cabinets, craft fair tat, cold frames, or any of the other similar routes to exhausted destitution!

Latest posts

Back