Question for the web guys

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Max Power

Established Member
Reaction score
The company that are doing my new website are now saying that it can't be responsive and have a blog/news section
Why would having a blog prevent it being responsive ?

Because they probably intend to use a pre-built "open source" blogging software/platform (which is not responsive).

The only reason would be a low grade hosting service. News and blog software use little In the way of resources, any half decent host will suffice. Forum software such as used here can be resource hungry but only if it gets regular moderate usage (20+ online at once). As an example I run a dedicated server for a fairly large model flying community which has 15000 members and regulary has 150 or more online at any one time. This requires a dedicated server to run correctly but in earlier times when we had only 20 online at a time a half decent hosting package would suffice.

Gerry

Gerry":k1kvxwrn said:
The only reason would be a low grade hosting service. News and blog software use little In the way of resources, any half decent host will suffice. Forum software such as used here can be resource hungry but only if it gets regular moderate usage (20+ online at once). As an example I run a dedicated server for a fairly large model flying community which has 15000 members and regulary has 150 or more online at any one time. This requires a dedicated server to run correctly but in earlier times when we had only 20 online at a time a half decent hosting package would suffice.

Gerry

100% wrong - sorry for that news.

Gerry

That has absolutely nothing to do with responsive web-sites (you may not have even heard of that terminology yet).

Responsive web design started becoming mainstream about a year ago. A responsive site is one that automatically adapts to fit all smartphones / tablets, whilst displaying 'normally' on a desktop.

As in; one site that fits all modern browsers on all current devices. That's it.

So what would you advise Flynnwood
I specified I wanted it responsive when I asked for the quote, thinking it was a good idea to make it available on all devices and I also confirmed that I needed a news section (so I regularly had fresh content) but they are now saying half way through the build its either one or the other

Hi maxpower

I manage lots of website builds of differing complexity from the simple to large corporate sites. I have never heard of such a lame excuse. I imagine that they have either not realised that building a responsive site is quite complex to do correctly and your estimate/quote is going to cost them or they do not the skills to do it.

If I were you and you have a quote for a responsive site, I would demand that this is what is delivered. There are plenty if sites out there with news sections that are responsive built on many different platforms (plain HTML, Wordpress, expression engine etc...).

Just for reference we always create wire frames and then designs in Photoshop. We then build the smallest resolution first (usually a phone resolution) and add features and functionality as you go up through the high end phones then tablets and then pc's.

Good luck

Andy

Flynnwood":19ek5auk said:
100% wrong - sorry for that news.

Gerry

That has absolutely nothing to do with responsive web-sites (you may not have even heard of that terminology yet).

Your correct it is the first time I have heard that terminology. I stand corrected.

Gerry

Back