Question for Dave L

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JPEC

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello Dave,

I notice you are from Sudbury, I live in Halstead and I am lookin for a good hardwood supplier that is local. Any help appreciated

Cheers
JUlian

JPEC - of ablsolutely no connection, but I used to go to the grammar school in Earles Colne a very long time ago - Rob

Hi Julian,

I looked at your location and thought their getting closer! :wink: I drive though Halstead on my way to work most days. :shock:

I have not used anywhere that is really local.
I tried Thorogood Timber in Ardleigh, just north of Colchester but was disappointed. When I phoned to check for stock, they had everything I wanted, when I got there a few days later nothing I had asked for was in stock (and never had been). [-(
I have used Atkins & Cripps when they were in Bishop Stortford (also on the way to work :roll: ). I had a very good time with then, helpful not the least put off that I was buying 2~3 cubic feet not a cubic metre or 10. :) I have not used them since they moved to Ely, but other forum members have.
I have a note about Temperate Hardwoods in Dunmow, but the tuit for visiting them has not turned up yet.
Rigdeons in Sudbury do have a good selection of red wood, joinery grade that I have used, they have a very small hard wood section, I have never used it. :whistle:

I have used Good Timber, but its not local by any stretch of the imagination(>100 miles), in fact I am going there tomorrow to meet up with a couple of other forum members :D but its a 06:30 start. :twisted:

And again no help to you really but I used to live in Great Yeldham and then Hadleigh (Suffolk). Small world. Lovely Thai restaurant in Halstead IIRC.

In those days I mostly used a place in Ipswich called Green's (I think) - small place and expensive but was good when I was starting out - you could go in with a cutting list. And you didn't haven't to get much. Not sure it's still there ... (was opposite the Odeon).

Cheers

Gidon

Thanks for the replies.

Woodbloke, small world indeed I play golf at Earls Colne.

Dave, thanks for the links, I tried Thorogood a while ago before I had a p/t and they charged the earth for machining! I had forgotten about them though.
I didn't know about Temperate so thanks for that one. :)
I shall pay them a visit very soon :D

It seems most of the big suppliers are either in the southwest or up north.

Thanks again

Julian

Back