Question about i-pod's

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenx

Established Member
Reaction score
Siorrachd Obar Dheathain , ALBA & Now Botesd
Hi.. forgive my probable stupidity on this one ...

I-pods, ok ....

When the i-pod is hooked up to the computer, and I have i-tunes up and running...
Is it possible to take tracks FROM the i-pod , BACK into the library thats lives on the computer.. ?

I've tried looking at all the 'options' and bits, down the left hand side of the screen etc... and can't seem to find a way of doing it ?

( these are tracks that were bought on (a) an older home pc, (b) a work PC, etc... and I want to get them into the library on this laptop )

Is it possibly something to do with the 'synchronise' deal with the i-pod ?

If anyone can help - I'd be very grateful.... I'm afraid I'm not very 'up to speed' with computer-speak, so be gentle with me if you are able to help !
Many thanks..

Jenx :D 8)

Jenx

Just tried to do it on my Mac and I can't.

So I think that the simple answer is No ...to stop piracy. Otherwise you could take your iPod round to a mates' house and upload all your music to his/her computer.

But....I know on the mac, for example, that there is a program called iPod Liberator which allows you to backup your iPod and from there you could re-import into iTunes. I'm sure there's something suitable for the PC (assuming you have a PC).

Roger

EDIT: Here you go, mate.

http://www.zeleksoftware.com/

If you hook an ipod up to your PC it can be viewed as an external hard drive and you can take files off it that way. I don't know whether that works for the iTunes store files, but it certainly works for mp3s

You in fact can - as described - you need to mount it as an external hard drive.

Search the folders you will find one with a lot of files BUT the file names will not make sense as they are stored using a reference name (mapped to the actual name in a small database).

Nevertheless, if you copied these to a folder on your PC then add them back to iTunes and conduct "name check" then the files will "reappear" renamed correctly.

Cheers.

I'll have a try at that :D ....
I'm not much 'cope' on a computer, but will see if I can puzzle that out, and get somewhere ... I've just mastered how to copy and paste ! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Much appreciated.. will give it a go 8)

Jenx":4i3yxf1x said:

I'll have a try at that :D ....
I'm not much 'cope' on a computer, but will see if I can puzzle that out, and get somewhere ... I've just mastered how to copy and paste ! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Much appreciated.. will give it a go 8)

I've done this several times.

As stated mount the ipod as a hard disk (enable disk mode in itunes).
Then navigate to the ipod drive and copy the required folder (cant remember the exact name).

they obfuscate the track names on purpose to try to stop piracy, but as other have stated if you drag them back into itunes the mp3 tags are all still present and correct (as they are embedded in the mp3 file itself) and thus the tracks are imported as the correct genre/artist/album ect.

lots of freeware programmes to do this for you, but its all the same process really.

don't think it works on the new ipod touch (not tried with mine) or a new iphone as they don't have disk mode (natively).

Steve

Latest posts

Back